No announcement yet.

Divorced, moving to Quebec, pays support to ex. How to claim it on Quebec taxes?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Divorced, moving to Quebec, pays support to ex. How to claim it on Quebec taxes?


    Looking for information about Quebec rules for handling spousal support payments. Situation is:
    • Divorced in Ontario, living in Ottawa, I pay spousal support directly to my ex who now lives in Nova Scotia.
    • Amount is set in Separation Agreement, not in the Divorce Order (never needed a court order) - no problems here.
    • Children are over 18, in university, Child Support is no longer paid to ex, I help my children directly.
    • I filed form T1158 "Registration of Family Support Payments" with CRA in the past so that I can claim on my taxes the spousal support payments that I send to my ex - CRA accepted, but asks for it again now and then.

    I am now considering moving to Quebec with a new partner. My questions are:
    1. What is the equivalent form T1158 in Revenue Québec? What would I need to do so that Quebec does not tax me on the amount I send my ex (Quebec taxes are high enough!)
    2. I don't want to mansplain here, but if you don't know, Québec does not rely on the CRA for anything related to income tax filling. It's a completely separate process and taxes are filed twice if you live there.
    3. Quebec has a "support-payment collection program" where the debtor (me) has to pay Revenue Québec and they in turn pay the creditor (my ex).
    4. Would I be required to use this "support-payment collection program" in order to be allowed to claim support payments on my Quebec taxes?
    5. I would rather continue paying my ex directly - things are reasonably ok right now and I want to avoid reopening things.

    Has any one been through the same process? I'd be very thankful for any insight on this!

  • #2
    Replying to myself since I found the answer:

    - you must use the "support-payment collection program" in Quebec if you have a court order about the spousal support
    - I don't have a court order, only a separation agreement, so don't have to use it (probably can't even if I wanted to)
    - I can claim the payment on my Quebec taxes same as with the CRA
    - should keep proof that I have sent payments if Revenue Quebec asks, and they may ask for copy of separation agreement same as CRA does


    Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.