Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long after submitting 25a divorce order to receive final divorce decree?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long after submitting 25a divorce order to receive final divorce decree?

After much searching on here I haven't been able to find an answer to my question..

My partner started divorce procedings on his former wife at the end of November.

He is doing it the simple way with no lawyers and his former wife was happy to sign and get it all over with quickly.

On the 4th January he went to the court house with his 25a divorce order and was told he would have to wait 31 days and the divorce is complete.

He is confused about the 31 day bit and asked at the courthouse if it was 31 days from the 4th Jan or 31 days from the day the judge looks at it.. no information was forthcoming and they were quite unhelpful.

Its all a bit confusing and I wonder if anyone has any knowledge they could pass on..?

This is a very late response, but I imagine it was accidentally lost in the shuffle & no-one here meant to ignore you in any way. Please accept apologies on behalf of everyone (if that's ok with everyone )
    I would imagine at this point in time you already have your answer, but in case someone happens upon the thread with the same question I will post what the family law website states - although I do not have personal experience with this... yet.
    The 31 day portion you are referring to is in regards to the divorce judgement. The judgement normally becomes final 31 days after the judge signs it. Once that is final you can apply for a certificate of divorce. A certificate of divorce is your proof that you are no longer married & would be required if you were to remarry for example.

Hopefully things went well for you & your partner.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X