Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notification

Hi all,

When one parent is traveling with the child within Ontario, say cottage for a week, does the traveling parent have to tell another parent about the trip?

Thank you

Yes. A simple message letting them know where and for how and a number they can reach you at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
      When one parent is traveling with the child within Ontario, say cottage for a week, does the traveling parent have to tell another parent about the trip?
      I'm going to disagree with rockscan here.

Absolutely not. In fact, I would recommend against it. There was a recent case where a father foolishly told his ex that he was bringing his kid to a cottage and she successfully motioned to stop it.

Honestly, I do not even think there is an obligation to inform the other parent as long as you remain in Canada. Want to fly to Nova Scotia for the week? Have fun, the kids can regale your ex with stories once you get back.

Now, if you intend to leave the country, that is another matter entirely.

Comment

Janus has a point.

Comment

No, but not doing so would cause animosity and possibly issues for you if you were careless. I am assuming either you and or your ex a terrible person so you are kind of stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            I'm going to disagree with rockscan here.

Absolutely not. In fact, I would recommend against it. There was a recent case where a father foolishly told his ex that he was bringing his kid to a cottage and she successfully motioned to stop it.

Honestly, I do not even think there is an obligation to inform the other parent as long as you remain in Canada. Want to fly to Nova Scotia for the week? Have fun, the kids can regale your ex with stories once you get back.

Now, if you intend to leave the country, that is another matter entirely.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. If possible, could you please provide a link to the case you referred to?

Comment

That case involved having the child around a large number of people indoors while the provincial regulations were still limiting contacts. If the cottage trip had been just the father and grandparents at the cottage it probably would have been approved by the judge.

http://canlii.ca/t/j8p0j

I would tell the other parent, Judges have expressed in several decipsn that they expect communication between co-parents. They don’t expect it to be loving, but it can be civil. If you act like there is something to hide, in a co-parenting relationship that already probably has a level of mistrust, it just inflames things. If the other parent wants to be a jerk and deny access or make unreasonable demands, you have the option of an urgent motion. Hopefully losing one option will be enough to change their behaviour.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X