Lawyers: Tax deduction for recipients and not payors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyers: Tax deduction for recipients and not payors

Kinso posted a link to a super interesting case that I felt shouldn't be buried at the end of a different thread:

https://decision.tcc-cci.gc.ca/tcc-c.../1/document.do

There is a ruling, where the judge decisively rules against the support payor, but then he adds to the end of the ruling:

[33] I have spent a great deal of time considering the issues raised in this Appeal. I would like to take this opportunity to express some concerns that I have about the current state of the law. In my view, there are serious inequities that can arise when child support recipients are permitted to deduct the legal fees that they have laid out to establish child support payments and child support payors are not permitted the same deduction. I feel that those inequities are aching to be addressed by Parliament. Please note that the following comments relate only to legal fees laid out to establish child support, not those laid out to enforce arrears of child support.
    He then goes on to make some very on point commentary.

Sadly though, this case was from 2014. His call for parliment to take action clearly fell on deaf ears.

This case was appealed to the Federal Court of Appeal:

https://decisions.fca-caf.gc.ca/fca-...ex.do?q=grenon

Which also makes for interesting reading.

Does not seem there was any further appeals to the SCC.

Comment

That is a recent ruling as well.

I guess this won't be changing for a while.

Comment

Another example of the unfairness is the Eligible Dependant Credit, whereby the use of Child support offsets in your agreement deny the payer of the credit. (worth around $2500/year)

I sent Bill Morneau and the Ministry of Finance a letter on this in February and never received a response.

Comment

Originally posted by nofrills View Post
          Another example of the unfairness is the Eligible Dependant Credit, whereby the use of Child support offsets in your agreement deny the payer of the credit. (worth around $2500/year)

I sent Bill Morneau and the Ministry of Finance a letter on this in February and never received a response.
          Unfair with shared parenting or unfair in general?

Comment

sorry to highjack this thread but INHO Unfair in shared parenting

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
              Unfair with shared parenting or unfair in general?
              I believe the tax code was changed in 2015....they simply want to claim more tax.

It is simply unfair.
              What others have done is have the order state spouse 1 owes X dollars in child support and spouse 2 owes X dollars in child support. No offset is paid but they pay each other.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X