Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact (if any) of moving provinces?

Hello,

My spouse and I were married in Nova Scotia. We now live in Ontario. We will separate soon. I am likely moving back to BC upon our separation.
    My spouse and I may go the "no lawyers" route, but I wouldn't be surprised if my spouse reneged on that at some point.

My questions for the forum:

1. Which province is the divorce (after the year of separation) "in"/where is it filed? BC? ON? NS?

2. Will me being in BC complicate the divorce (and how)?

3. Can a BC lawyer act on my behalf, if needed?

Thanks!

Do you have children? If no then just do an agreement, get legal advice and be done with it.

If you have children then the file needs to be heard in the jurisdiction they live in. Again, you can come to an agreement without lawyers by being reasonable and working something out. You could have a lawyer in Bc represent you but you may need them to travel to Ontario for matters.

If you have children and are moving you need to understand that your relationship with them will suffer. You also won’t be able to get out of paying cs because you chose to move.

Comment

If you move more than 40 minutes driving distance from your kids, you can kiss joint custody and any access goodbye. Your relationship with your kids will be relegated to facetime conversations and perhaps a few visits per year. You will pay full child support till they are out of school. If that is what you want...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X