No announcement yet.

Timely Submission of Documents, Or Not

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Timely Submission of Documents, Or Not

    What is a reasonable time frame for an estranged spouse to provide financial details?

    Background - husband left Ontario to live in BC (retired, not working, has income, has not applied for CPP) December of 2017. Wife remains in matrimonial home. Wife has provided financials, husband has not.

    It is close to 18 months apart now. Husbands lawyer is unresponsive at best. I suspect his client is the real issue. Lawyer has a decent reputation.

    Is it necessary to get a court order to force husband to comply? Would a judge normally assign costs incurred to get the non-compliant spouse to provide his information? What's a reasonable time frame before going to court?

    This is not a complicated situation, he could provide everything required in less than a day if he made an effort.

  • #2
    Have you filed an application? Normally you file and their response has the financial information in it.


    • #3
      No, the lawyer has not filed yet. I am not sure why.


      • #4
        If you have been separated 18 months, have recieved little communication from your ex, and YOUR lawyer has not filed an application than I would say you need a new lawyer; if you are waiting for your exís lawyer to file, stop waiting and be an advocate for yourself. Self-repping is (relatively) easy and you can go far without incurring legal fees, unless you are uncomfortable advocating for yourself. The court system expects you to do all the heavy lifting in looking out for your Rights. Until you file an Application your ex does not have any reason to do what you ask (forget Court Ordeere and Costs, you are a loooong way away from any of that if you havenít even started the process legally).


        Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.