Case law from other provinces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case law from other provinces?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it would be acceptable to cite case law in support of my case that was decided in another province. This case is exactly like mine and has the outcome I've been looking to get. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Dad0208 View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it would be acceptable to cite case law in support of my case that was decided in another province. This case is exactly like mine and has the outcome I've been looking to get. Any thoughts?
    It depends... It has been done in small provinces generally where they don't have a huge pile of jurisprudence like Ontario and QC has.

Comment

This case law was from the court of appeal of saskatchewan, and it was regarding the federal child support guidelines. The guidelines are the same in every province, so I thought maybe the case could be used in support of my case.

Comment

Court of Appeal cases are VERY good to use even if from another province.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X