Slow Judges - A Law Unto Themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Judges - A Law Unto Themselves?

What does one do about a judge that is 'very late' in rendering a decision?

My understanding was that a judge had 6 months to issue a decision after trial. I do not wish to be too specific here, but my case is way beyond that.

It is very unfair (to all parties) just from a 'closure' perspective, but additionally, there is a lot of money and real estate involved, and the values the judge is using are now way out of date.

Are there repercussions for judges that ignore the rules and deadlines?

Is a late decision grounds for appeal?

Is it worth filing a judicial complaint?

No replies so far...I will add this: It is well over one year.

Lawyers have not been called back for oral arguments.

Comment

You can probably apply to the chief judge for a new judge and maybe anew trial

Comment

I will update in case anyone is interested. In my complicated trial my lawyer told to be to expect a 20-40 page ruling, The ruling was almost three pages and riddled with errors (awarded back child support to the wrong person, erred in his math, and erred in assigning 'ownership' of certain possessions that we had agreed on).

The ruling was so riddled with flaws that my ex's lawyer agreed that it needed to go to appeal and they would support the appeal.

In the end, a newly appointed judge with zero (absolutely none) family law experience was allowed to adjudicate a difficult decision, then wrote a ruling so riddled with errors that over half of his rulings were overturned. It's shameful. It's like we live in a third world country where appointments happen through bribery.

I settled through mediation rather than spend more time in court.

I will add,in case anyone searches: this was in Milton and the judge came from the military. He is an incompetent nitwit, And I hope he tries to sue me for writing the truth.

Comment

What you described is a disgrace.
          That is a single person behaving incompetently and a governing body that turns a blind eye. Twice!

I have seen several errors on my own case and wondered "how did they come up with that?"
          With most places you can go and say "excuse me this statement here is incorrect, can it be fixed?" "Sorry, we will get that fixed right away".
          System is broken.

Comment

What's worse? We have no recourse. You can't complain about decisions, only 'behavior'.

That judge is an incompetent moron sucking up a second pension. I sort of own a billboard, his name with the words 'milking the public' would be fun. What could they do to me?

A different judge in Milton once said to me 'I don't care if you made your money selling cocaine'. WtF? How is that appropriate?

Oh well. It's a broken system run by people who make money off it, there's zero incentive to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by onandon View Post
              What does one do about a judge that is 'very late' in rendering a decision?

My understanding was that a judge had 6 months to issue a decision after trial. I do not wish to be too specific here, but my case is way beyond that.

It is very unfair (to all parties) just from a 'closure' perspective, but additionally, there is a lot of money and real estate involved, and the values the judge is using are now way out of date.

Are there repercussions for judges that ignore the rules and deadlines?

Is a late decision grounds for appeal?

Is it worth filing a judicial complaint?
              I don't get it. If you haven't done closing arguments, why were you waiting for a decision?

Comment

The judge took over one year from closing arguments to issue his decision. I'm not sure why you thought that closing arguments had not been made.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X