Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a legal Cut Off Age for Child Care Expenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a legal Cut Off Age for Child Care Expenses?

I think my title says it all for the question.

So many people have their children stay home alone, or babysit others at age 12.

But I saw on Canada Revenue Agency that Parents can claim Child Care Expenses before the Child is 16.

So legally, are parents able to continue putting their children in babysitting until 15 years old just to collect section 7 expenses from the other parent for it???

I guess they could but at that age I am sure the kid would put up a fight about daycare/babysitter. I think that is more for camps and such that are still considered care, but that's just my opinion

Comment

are parents able to continue putting their children in babysitting until 15 years old just to collect section 7 expenses from the other parent for it?
      Yes, if the expense is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughingstock View Post
        So legally, are parents able to continue putting their children in babysitting until 15 years old just to collect section 7 expenses from the other parent for it???
        Most child care providers won't take a 15 year old... Unless they have special needs. PLASP boots kids out of the program at age 12. Unless the child in question has special needs I doubt any judge would enforce S7 for a 15 year old.

Comment

I agree with Berner that the only likely thing for a teen would be camps. Can't see any kind of regular after school care. I can't see the value in one parent trying to "stick it" to the other parent for their portion of section 7 when that parent would also have to pay their own portion.

Comment

Originally posted by PeacefulMoments View Post
            I agree with Berner that the only likely thing for a teen would be camps. Can't see any kind of regular after school care. I can't see the value in one parent trying to "stick it" to the other parent for their portion of section 7 when that parent would also have to pay their own portion.
            Most people at age 15 going to camp are going as camp counselors or jr. counselors or something like that. Usually they are getting paid to go to camp at this age... Not paying to go...

Camp Mohawk is a great place to send the kids.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
              Situation is Mom leaves for work at 6am.
              Child will be 12 soon and at that age, child is questioning why Mom wants to continue dragging child out of bed in pajammas at 6am to take him to a sitters house.
              Child has no disabilities/special needs.
              Child wants luxury to sleep in longer, wake up, get breakfast and walk to school on own. (Child walks home from school on own now and is alone at home for a couple hours at a time when Mom goes out shopping, etc.)

Doesn't cost Mom any of HER OWN money for babysitter fees as Government--CCTB and UCCB covers her share and I pay the other half.

Mom has always had the "I will make you pay for anything and everything as long as I can" attitude to me.

Why I question if child could end up being put in babysitting like this as late as 15??? As she will do it if she legally can. (And if Revenue Canada allows it to be claimed) I'm thinking she will be able to do it.
              Last edited by Laughingstock; 01-08-2016, 03:24 PM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

Take your kid for the babysitting course, maybe even line him up with some kids to watch every now and then (got friends with kids he can watch while you run errands together?) Then mom will have a very difficult time explaining why a kid who babysit other kids needs a babysitter!

Comment

According to CS rules, to be eligible as section 7, childcare must be necessary for her employment. CRA rules are irrelevant.

So as soon as kid is old enough to get up & to school independently, it's over.

Comment

Only the UCCB is specifically earmarked for childcare and it certainly wouldn't cover half of daycare. The other child benefits are general benefits. Also, all of those benefits would continue to her regardless of whether she uses daycare or not. I am not questioning your thought that she would like to "stick it to you" if she can, just saying that the cost would be on her too, not just you.

Also, at current age of 11, I can see mom not quite being ready to have child get ready on his/her her own including making breakfast. 11-12 is a funny age, some kids are totally ready and some not so much.

Comment

Mom gets UCCB anyways, so its not like she only gets it for daycare.

I think you should ask mom, how much longer this is going to go on - tell her kid doesnt want it, you don't think its necessary and so ask her when she is going to think its not necessary.

She may not agree right away but at a certain point (maybe a few months away) she might drop it.

Comment

Well, in this situation your kid is going to have to battle with mom. 12 is pretty young still to be left home in the morning with handling getting up eating and getting out the door on time. Others may argue its old enough. Perhaps its a case of kid discussing with mom and you supporting it not from a "Im not paying" perspective but from a giving kid more responsibilities perspective.

As for other Ill make you pay...depending on the cost the activity and kids interest/talent/wishes, she will be hard pressed to make you do anything you dont agree with. If shes willing to go to court over minor costs for unnecessary things, remind her if she loses she has to pay your legal fees.

You need to put this person on ignore.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, opinions.
                          Yes I agree that it depends on the child for readiness and age.

I was just shocked to see that Revenue allows child care expenses up to 15 years of age with no disability/special needs.

So in that case, when there is an ex who is the type to "go for any and every expense they can as long as they can" out of spite/not caring that it costs them a bit of money to "Make that other parent pay" ...........they can indeed get away with it!

The lengthy court process, cost, and stress would not be worth it for me to fight in my situation.

I would suck it up and continue paying until the kid is 15 if she chooses to do that.....which unfortunately, with my ex, there is a very high chance she will!

Comment

Remember when you calculate the expense its the "net cost". So you take the total paid minus the taxable benefit split proportionate to income.

For instance, total paid is $125. Tax benefit is $25. Your share is 75%. So you pay $75 of that $125.

When kid starts fighting daycare you will see a change.

Comment

I knew someone who claimed this up to age 14 because of an after-school religious thing which was conveniently labelled as "child care"

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X