Motion filed - no date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion filed - no date

My ex and I came to a settlement agreement regarding all of the financial issues in late August. We signed temporary minutes of settlement.

At the time, she was a part-time teacher. Miraculously, a couple of weeks later she suddenly has a full time permanent position...making over $93,000 per year. Obviously this would have a major impact on child support and spousal support.

As a result, I have refused to sign their draft of final minutes of settlements. I am prepared to be reasonable and have an offer to resolve all of this.

They served me with a notice for motion asking that the temporary minutes of settlement be made into a final order. There is no date for a court appearance, it just asks that the judge make this order based upon written submissions.

So, how do I respond? How long do I have to respond?

Originally posted by Hatingit View Post
    My ex and I came to a settlement agreement regarding all of the financial issues in late August. We signed temporary minutes of settlement.

At the time, she was a part-time teacher. Miraculously, a couple of weeks later she suddenly has a full time permanent position...making over $93,000 per year. Obviously this would have a major impact on child support and spousal support.

As a result, I have refused to sign their draft of final minutes of settlements. I am prepared to be reasonable and have an offer to resolve all of this.

They served me with a notice for motion asking that the temporary minutes of settlement be made into a final order. There is no date for a court appearance, it just asks that the judge make this order based upon written submissions.

So, how do I respond? How long do I have to respond?
    So I'm not sure you can have the current minutes set aside. The minutes of settlement are a legally binding document. Your signature isn't needed to have it issued and filed with the court. You already signed it.

You may be able to file a motion to change though.

Did the minutes account for material changes? ie: did it say you would pay xxx regardless of her income? If it impacts CS then I assume you have a shared access arrangement? In that case, CS gets adjusted every year based on your tax returns - so I wouldn't sweat that one right now.
    Last edited by HappyMomma; 10-11-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

No date? weird. You can check with the court to see if they have a date. Also you can cross motion stating that there has been a "major change in circumstance" that being the position/salary change since the minutes of settlement have been done. Don't let it linger because if you don't dispute the Minutes of Settlement within a certain time frame, the courts will assume that you agree to them.

Comment

Originally posted by forthekids View Post
        No date? weird. You can check with the court to see if they have a date. Also you can cross motion stating that there has been a "major change in circumstance" that being the position/salary change since the minutes of settlement have been done. Don't let it linger because if you don't dispute the Minutes of Settlement within a certain time frame, the courts will assume that you agree to them.
        My ex had 10 days to file something to say he disagreed - but that was from the date the minutes were signed - not sure how it works in your case.

Comment

How long do I have to respond?
          If it is a Form 14B, you should file immediately, as per:

RESPONSE TO MOTION FORM

(10.1) If a party uses a motion form (Form 14B) and no person served with the motion form serves and files a response within four days after being served, the motion shall be dealt with by the court as an unopposed motion. O. Reg. 383/11, s. 3 (2).

Comment

Then I am in a bad position.

Four days have already passed.

I suppose that the only recourse is to file a motion for change at this point?

Is that correct? Does it matter that ex didn't disclose even the possibility of her salary doubling within two weeks?

Comment

You need to talk to a lawyer. There are too many small details, and too short of a time frame, for internet self help to be effective.

It may be the matter requires a procedural motion on your end (or urgent motion) to avoid getting snowed. It may be you are not in a position to contest the minutes and need to contemplate a motion to change. It may be neither of those are applicable.

Get legal advice, and move quickly.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X