Dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates

My ex and I signed a settlement agreement back in Feb. We received the signed court order in April. One of the items states that we will apply for passports within 14 days. Do the 14 days start from the time we signed the agreement or the time that the judge signed the agreement?

Thanks!

Originally posted by iceberg View Post
    You obviously haven't applied when you signed in Feb so now that you got Judges signature, apply now.
    Way to not answer a question.

Comment

I know there is no such thing as a silly question according to some, but this might qualify.

Your agreement says you will apply for passports within 14 days. Not that you will wait 14 days before applying. Apply now.

And by the way, it would be 14 days from the signing of the agreement, so you have broken your agreement already.

Comment

I concur with DowntroddenDad on the effective date: 14 days should start from the day the agreement was agreed to and signed, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
          I know there is no such thing as a silly question according to some, but this might qualify.

Your agreement says you will apply for passports within 14 days. Not that you will wait 14 days before applying. Apply now.

And by the way, it would be 14 days from the signing of the agreement, so you have broken your agreement already.
          You've missed the point of my question - I'm not asking when I should apply - I'm asking when the countdown starts.

I'm trying to figure out if my EX (not me) is in violation of the order so I need to know when the clock started ticking. If you are correct, then he is already in violation. If not, then he will be in violation at the end of today.

I've tried repeatedly to get him to sign the applications but he keeps making up excuses. I don't want to accuse him of being in violation if he isn't so I wanted clarification.

BTW - my post never implied that I was the one not applying for the applications.

Comment

I'm not missing the point of anything. I clearly stated that the countdown starts when the two parties sign the agreement. If you want precedent, of we were talking about other things in the agreement, like support payements, they also start at the day you have a signed agreement.

Your post was unclear, you use the word "we". When I used the word "you" it was an implied plural, as in you two.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
              I'm not missing the point of anything. I clearly stated that the countdown starts when the two parties sign the agreement. If you want precedent, of we were talking about other things in the agreement, like support payements, they also start at the day you have a signed agreement.

Your post was unclear, you use the word "we". When I used the word "you" it was an implied plural, as in you two.
              Yeah, you kinda did - your primary reply did not answer my question - it told me to 'apply now'. You only answered by question by way of a 'by the way' at the end of your post.

It's not really important - I'm probably splitting hairs - I just find it comical that such a seemingly simple question got the replies that it did.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X