This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizard

I am wondering if anybody here used Wizard as a communication channel and if so, is it mandatory to discuss child/children related issues only.

What happens if you discuss some other issues there as well? It is kinda stupid to use one messaging system to discuss child/children only and another one for everything else.

Do the courts, judges, lawyers have any access to it? If not, why bother and pay $100 for a subscription if regular text messages and email exchanges are as good if not better (at least free within your internet or cell phone plans)?
    Thank you

Hi. It was recommended by the OCL during our Disclosure meeting. It was to help reduce the conflict and disputes and to put our daughters schedule on the calendar. (with my ex he was making accusations that he was never informed about her events etc, and I provided the OCL with all the documents, emails etc). My understanding is that it keeps all the info in one central database, you can also enter your expenses info etc....and both parties can view it. And in the event of a dispute - it's readily available.
    Not sure how it works besides that because I have yet to buy the program - but I think it will be good in keeping accusations to a minimum and unsavory type conversations from the ex.

The OCL thought it would be a very helpful tool and recommended it for us to have.
    Good luck, I'd love to hear anyone else who has had experience with it.

Comment

Hello. In this case it was recommended by a judge during a case conference. May be I am wrong but recommendation is not an order and participants may or may not follow it (right? wrong?)

Again in this case participants did buy Wizard and in my view it is a total waste of money. As I mentioned before text messaging and regurlar emails are as good and free. So I am trying to understand what are pros of Wizard? Do the judges and lawyers have access to these messages? For whatever reason I doudt it. But then again what is the advantage?

If you cannot discuss any issues there but child/children related then you are forced to send an email or text. How is it better? I'd prefer to have everything in one place. (wrong? right?)

Comment

Mother,
        I can only comment based on my experience with the software......and I think it is very good. I requested the use of this tool as a means of ensuring that the "he said / she said" "stuff", stopped. We have what would be termed a "high conflict" situation. CAS and OCL are both involved. My ex did not want to use the software but the CAS and OCL both agreed that it would be a good thing. I even offered to pay the $100 for my ex so that it could be used.
        We currently don't use the calendar function because our children are older and we live in different towns, so the coordination of events and activities is not really an issue.
        There is a way to exchange reciepts and transfer funds between each other that is all recorded and accounted for. Again, we don't use this function either.
        It has the ability to record and track all relevant infor about the kids doctor, dentist, teachers, and any other important things that both parents can input and update.
        The message system is excellent. If I send a message to my ex, I can refer back to the system later and it will tell me when they opened the message. Emails and texts can't do that.
        If you print out a message, it is time stamped and dated as to when it was sent. No issues with changing settings on your computer.
        The messages are kept. My ex can't delete them and say they never got them.
        The CAS and OCL can all be given access to the site. They can see the messages and review the information.
        In some cases, some people have issues with how they communicate with their ex. The message system has a function that reviews your messages before you send them and offers suggestions on the "tone" and content of the message to allow you to edit or change certain phrases in order to make the message less "aggresive" or "upsetting".

In our case the $200 per year is very worth it.

Comment

Cobourg,

Thank you for your input. I am not sold because again I think emaiels and text messages are as good and free but you've mentioned one important feature emails/text messages don't have: you cannot delete a wizard message once it's been sent. If true, this is important. Thank you!

What is funny (or may be not) in this case which is also a high conflict case. The other party is extremely confrontational, rude and dictatorial, but because it is on Wizard, this partie tries to be more civil. Why is it funny? Becuase a message starts all nice and peachy and ends with this party being... who this party is. It's funny to read these messages. It stars with something like "I would like to discuss..." and in the middle of the messages it reads as "And I will be the primary parent, I will be making all rulkes and in case of emergency you call me, nobody else and I will arrange the dr's visit, u are crazy asking for more... So it works half time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
            Hello. In this case it was recommended by a judge during a case conference. May be I am wrong but recommendation is not an order and participants may or may not follow it (right? wrong?)

Again in this case participants did buy Wizard and in my view it is a total waste of money. As I mentioned before text messaging and regurlar emails are as good and free. So I am trying to understand what are pros of Wizard? Do the judges and lawyers have access to these messages? For whatever reason I doudt it. But then again what is the advantage?

If you cannot discuss any issues there but child/children related then you are forced to send an email or text. How is it better? I'd prefer to have everything in one place. (wrong? right?)
            Only you can determine if the use of Family Wizard was endorsed. Both parties agreed to use it. IMO, if one party opts to alter that agreement, which was made in front of a judge, it will have negative consequences.

Waste of money is your opinion. Others who use it will say it is worth every penny! The premise behind the program is to allow amicable communications between warring parties. And while judges do not have access to the program when there is a he said/she said conflict, a party can use it as evidence if need be.

Emails and text messages are notoriously bad forms of communication. They can be erased, manipulated etc. But with Family Wizard nothing can be deleted and there is a record of when another party has viewed an item. For example, if I send my ex a message that the child has a dr's appt, he can't go back and state that I never let him know - the program will record that I sent the message and exactly what time he opened it. Best evidence for accusations.

And the best thing is that everything is all in one place. For example, I have three different emails for various reasons plus land line, plus cell. If I was to gather evidence to counter a claim it can be cumbersome; using Wizard eliminates that.

Wizard is designed for high conflict parties. That is was recommended by a judge is indicative that there is obvious conflict issues between the parties. It is a small price to pay for keep communications amicable versus using the court system.

Comment

Could not post anything for whatever reason, trying again...

mom2three,
              Thanks for your response, appreciate any useful information.

No it wasn't endorsed. It was recommended during the case conference as I mentioned already but not endorsed. The parties just started using it without any endorsement. I feel it's a waste f money and I can be very wrong. That's exactly why I am asking for the opinion of the others who is using it for a while, longer that the parties at this end and consequently know it better.

The fact that nothing can be distorted and/or deleted was unknown to me and it is very, cery important. I like it.

But is it designed to discuss only child/children issues and nothing else?

Yes this is a high conflict situation.

Comment

Here's the thing. You have already PAID to use the program for an allocated amount of time. It would be a waste of money if you didn't use it.

I don't know what other issues you refer to. I 'suppose' you could raise issues about equalization etc.,since it would be unlikely that the program would cut you off for doing so; that being said, the premise of the program is to offer an avenue for effective communication between the parties. It simply would not be a forum to discuss other issues really.

I would surmise that any issue discussed OUTSIDE of child issues could draw a negative inference. I know I wouldn't be too pleased, as a judge, to be reading crap about other issues; that is not child focused and merely seeks to fan the already blazing fire.

If it is high conflict, those issues should be mediated between the lawyers, on advice of the parties.

Use your email account to email your lawyer etc. You already have it. Email was designed for effective communication, not invective vitriol either (of course people use it that way).

But as I said above: you have the program, so use it instead of trying to find reasons not to use it.

Comment

Just checked Wizard and apparently you can delete a message. At least there is a "delete" button there, on the left hand side of the screen and each message on the list has a box beside it where you can put a check mark, then click on "delete" button and (I am guessing) this check marked message will be deleted. One big minus is that you cannot enter more than 10,000 characters so long messages (sometimes they are unavoidable) are not going through. So that's not good and still waste of money in my opinion but it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
                    I feel it's a waste f money and I can be very wrong...
                    But is it designed to discuss only child/children issues and nothing else?
                    It's a communication tool...you can use it to discuss anything you'd like but why discuss issues that aren't related to the children. Perhaps property/settlement issues?

Either way, it's a tool that allows for secure, documented communication. You know your message is delivered and when it's read. One parent can't claim to the other about not being informed. It's a valuable record for court purposes if needed. Forces parents to try and be civil...ex...you can't take back a threat.

For some families...they may have a worker or mediator of some sort, who can also have access for review. when kids are older they have their own access too, if desired.

Shared calendar makes it easy to keep each other informed of child events.

The only fault it has is affordability for some but the cost is small compared to the hassle it helps avoid.

It's also a tool you log into when you're ready...as opposed to an ex demanding an immediate answer or reply via some insane text message.

Anyone who is against using this kind of tool is likely one of the high conflict parents who wish to avoid the accountability OurFamilyWizard provides.

If the situation is high conflict, try it.

Comment

You should not be writing 10000 character messages to the other parent if the communication is hostile.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X