No announcement yet.

Adult child inheritance

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adult child inheritance

    My 20 year old Daughter is completing her college degree this April. I have asked my ex wife to contact FRO to have the support payments stopped. she is refusing, and informed me that since I have not turned over my income tax forms that she will be taking me to court to have an adjustment ordered because she feels I should give her more money.
    At the age of 18 my daughter took a year off before going to college. At this point she lived at home, paid rent to her Mom and held a full time job. According to the terms of our separation agreement I should have been able to terminate support payments. But, knowing my Dauhter would be returning to school, I opted to continue paying and started to negotiate with my Ex to have the payments go directly to my Daughter.this never happened. she continued to pay off her mortgage with the money.
    Next. My Daughter received a large inheritance from my Great uncle after he passed. He had left her enough money to pay for her college experience.
    For the last two years my daughters rent, tuition and supplies have all been paid for.keep in mind this inheritance was hers, not mine or my ex wife's and my Uncle was very specific about this in his will.
    My thinking here is that since my daughter was 18 (Of age) she has not been a dependent, but has provided for her self in every way.
    Should I not be able to recoup the last three years of payments?

  • #2
    I think you are SOL. with getting the last three years back.

    why didnt you stop payments when the daughter had a fulltime job etc?? I know you said it was because you knew she was going to be going back to school but you could of stopped payments and later gave the child money directly instead of going through the mother.


    • #3
      To add more BS to the issue, my ex is a para legal and her boss is also her lawyer..... every time I open my mouth it costs me.
      But i figure I can use this as a tactic to just end this whole part of my life. she will come at me for about 10grand; difference in my income over the last 11 years. I figure if i can chase her for 21g's she may just back off and leave me alone. For good!


      • #4
        Since FRO is involved, the only is to go back to court when the ex refuse to cooperate.


        • #5
          I'll be speaking to a lawyer tomorrow to file paper work.


          • #6
            If your daughter is completing college next month, what is the justification your ex is giving to increase child support?

            If she is going to court she needs to provide reasons for things, not just say she wants it.

            If you go to court and there are 4 issues, and you lose 2 and win 2, you are unlikely to get your costs. For this reason I wouldn't push for repayment of previous support. Whether or not your daughter had her own money, the definition of child of the marriage is that she be (after age 18) in full time post secondary. Nothing in the definition looks at whether she has any level of income, or an inheritance to live off of. this is not an issue you have factual support for.

            You should go to court on the issues you have a strong case for. That would be ending child support after April due to your daughter graduating college. If this were me, I would take the daughter out for dinner, ask about graduation, if there will be a ceremony, etc., and what her plans are now. If she is planning to go on to university or something, you will need to carefully think out your plans. But if she is ready to get a full-time job, then you are ready to go to court (if necessary) to end support.


            • #7
              Thanks for the advice


              • #8
                adult.... inheritance. Out of your control. You raise kids and all you can do is hope they make good decisions.


                Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.