Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably not. All useless in court. IT is a good record, however, of how you cared for you child. You could make a very nice photo album for your daughter, with baby pictures, along with dates and times of important things. (Baby's first solid food, baby's first haircut). Maybe you could give the album as a gift to your daughter someday? If it's derogatory I'd trash them. You have to look to the future now. Trashing the mother is a no-no. You have to think about things that are positive.

Keep warm my Alberta friend!

Comment

I would keep them, but I'm a packrat that way. But there isn't much use for them in court. If, as you said, her parenting has improved a lot, then why do you need to prove she wasn't very good at the start? The only thing I can think of is that it may be useful to prove that you have been involved from the start, and to have the child taken away from you would be detrimental. But you don't need to prove why you did so much parenting, just that you did it.

What you need to prove is that you are both good, involved parents, so the child's time should be divided equally.

Comment

Iceberg, your materials are potentially relevant depending on what arguments your ex makes. If she goes back that far and tries to make false claims, then your records may become necessary.

You want to focus on your positive abilities as a parent, not on your ex's negatives, especially because you are seeking joint, not sole for yourself. Your hospital example looks good on you, and shows you were caring and responsible. Use the event for that purpose, not to trash your ex. The judge can draw their own conclusions about your ex, but you come across as more positive if you avoid criticizing her.

You have to do your best to refute any accusations she makes against you, so a lot of the records you kept may be necessary for that, and journal itself becomes evidence. It has weight if you submit it as a complete record, and then quote the relevent parts. If you just cherry pick a page here and there, it has no weight as a journal.

The important thing, start out focused in positive arguments about your own parenting, avoid being negative about your ex, but absolutely refute anything negative she says about you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post

You have to do your best to refute any accusations she makes against you, so a lot of the records you kept may be necessary for that, and journal itself becomes evidence. It has weight if you submit it as a complete record, and then quote the relevent parts. If you just cherry pick a page here and there, it has no weight as a journal.

The important thing, start out focused in positive arguments about your own parenting, avoid being negative about your ex, but absolutely refute anything negative she says about you.
          So for example submit four thousands text messages as a whole, not just submit three or four dandy pages and keep the rest if required?

What if you have other relevant text/email conversations with others that span many pages, but you don't want the other litigant seeing all of it as it's not relevant to the proceedings, and is actually private?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X