No announcement yet.

legal term definition help

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • legal term definition help

    Hi, I was recently served divorce papers from my ex-wife and am proceeding without a lawyer. I have done research and am confident I can handle this. In her papers, there are "orders" against me and for the most part, I understand their meanings. One order though, I do not....maybe it's obvious but I just wanted some opinions or clarification. Here it is:

    " order amending the title of proceedings to reflect the names on the Marriage Certificate."


  • #2
    That means the Application was filed with names that do not reflect the marriage certificate. Likely, you were once Mr. A and Ms. B, and are now Mr. A and Mrs. A. She would like her name in the papers to go back to being Ms. B, but filed her application as Ms. A.

    I cannot think of any material way the Order could affect the proceedings, although I would infer that she is very emotional about things.

    In the alternative, they may be seeking a divorce and have had issues with the coloured form.


    • #3
      They are asking the name on the divorce certificate should be same as it is on the marriage certificate. I had a similar para in my divorce order and seems to be a standard procedure if names on the application are different from the names on the marriage certificate. (It makes things easier when you wish to remarry in future.)


      Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.