This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Blanket travel letters possible?

So I have a somewhat simple yet complicated question.

As I have stated in previous posts, my divorce was an amicable one and I am still on good terms with my ex-husband.

As our son grows older, I can see him travelling quite a bit with myself, his father and his grandparents. I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly when he does.

I was wondering if it is at all possible to get a blanket travel consent letter set up for all possible situations. Is it necessary to have these letters notarized? If it is possible to use a blanket travel letter, can someone point me towards an example. I have only found extremely specific letters and they don't help in my situation.

The last time we had this type of letter notarized, it cost $60. I'd like to avoid having to shell out that amount each time since I'm not independently wealthy. ie. Travelling with me, travelling with his father and travelling with his grandparents.

The reason why I ask is because I will be travelling with S7 to Florida to visit family for Christmas. We will fly out together but S7 will fly back with his grandmother (my ex-husband's mother).

Just want to get all my ducks in a row well in advance. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

Originally posted by stressedmama View Post
    Is it necessary to have these letters notarized?
    I doubt a lawyer would notarize such a document. If there are blanks where info could be entered later, they definitely won't do it.

If it is possible to use a blanket travel letter, can someone point me towards an example.
    Is this not something you could get worked into an agreement? Just provide a clause that states you both agree that either parent may travel with the child outside of Canada, but within North America, without the other parents consent? You both sign and have it witnessed?

The last time we had this type of letter notarized, it cost $60.
    Call around to different firms. Not every firm charges. The firm I work at provides notarization as a free service.

If you generally feel your ex is amicable and that you will be amicable, I doubt there is a real need for blank letters.

Comment

All we have been told to do is if we are going over the border, to have a letter from the other parent saying you are aware you will be travelling with (name of children) on (dates from and to) to the place you are going. Have the other parent sign it. Apparently the customs agents can ask for this and if you don't have permission to take the children to another country, they can turn you away. It wouldn't hurt to take your agreement with you also. This is for either parent travelling with the kids over the border. My husband just has to let the mother know when and where we take the kids for our week with them. Same with all the extra weekends we have them. So far verbally has worked.

Comment

1) It needs to be notarized (my sister was refused boarding with an unnotarized letter). Probably VERY rare chance it will make a difference .... but it might.

2) Possibly you could write a BLANKET letter (not BLANK letter) that gives some limitations e.g. good for travel up to 3 weeks to anywhere in north/central america and caribbean. But sorry, I don't know if that is acceptable to border control agencies and airlines.

Comment

I think there's been a misunderstanding. I didn't mean a blank letter. I meant a general letter stating that it's alright for either of us to travel with our son in Canada and the US (no specific time, no flight information etc).

Just a simple letter that includes both our information and signatures as well as witness info.

And I need to draft 3 letters:
          1) A letter that I can use when travelling with our son
          2) A letter that my ex-husband can use
          3) A letter that my ex's mother can use

And, yes, we could possibly update our SA but honestly we never look at that thing and I don't feel like schlepping it around when I'm travelling. Besides, that doesn't help when my mother-in-law takes our son across the border for short visits.

Comment

Thanks dinkyface. I just saw your response.

Alright, I guess I will just have to muddle through then.

Comment

I am going through this exact issue right now.

A blanket letter IS acceptable. Border services website states that the letter must contain the other parent's signature and contact information (phone number). It does NOT say it must contain destination or dates. Their sample letter does, however, it is not necessary.

For travel to the US the letter does NOT need to be notarized. I believe it does for anywhere else though.

Comment

Originally posted by CSAngel View Post
                For travel to the US the letter does NOT need to be notarized. I believe it does for anywhere else though.
                So the parent fakes a letter, travels to US and then flies anywhere else to the world ... awesome(sarcastic)!

Comment

Originally posted by sahibjee View Post
                  So the parent fakes a letter, travels to US and then flies anywhere else to the world ... awesome(sarcastic)!
                  The letter must contain the contact information for the other parent. You're taking a chance if you 'fake it' that they don't call.

Comment

I have done a lot of reading on this and even spoke with a notary and.. it was stated that doesn't need to be notarized. There is no law requiring that. And since my ex and I are on good terms, I don't mind them calling him.

I won't be faking anything. I am also updating my son's passport at the moment and my ex has no problem signing it. It'll be just like our joint divorce application (and everything else) where I do all the paperwork and he just adds his signature where necessary.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X