This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashed cheque before Post-Date?

I recently gave my ex a post-dated cheque for the monthly babysitting fees. The date was post-dated within the 20 day time period I have.

Now I just found out that I have no funds in my account....ex was able to cash the cheque before the post date?

Anyone know what the usual outcome is when this happens? Will I be charged with NSF fees? Even though I post-dated the cheque/she cashed it before the date?

Call the bank and have them reverse it. It is their responsibility to ensure this doesn't happen. Have them fix it and they with withdraw the money from your ex's account. You can cut her another cheque for a later date and include on it'not to be cashed before XX date".

Or you can switch to email money transfer and send her the money that way on the day you wish to have it withdrawn.

Comment

Total issue with the bank. Get a letter of acknowledgment and apology for their oversight as well.

Comment

For what purpose?

Comment

Does this mean you're getting proper receipts for the babysitting amounts now? Hooray! Otherwise, didn't we tell you to stop paying??

Also, I seem to recall a conversation not long ago about how post-dated cheques are really just a meaningless courtesy and can be cashed anytime. Check for that thread for more useful info.

Comment

Gettina a bank to acknowledge their error should ensure that record is put on your file and it won't happen again. Who needs an NSF charge and record of one on their banking file anyhow? Just good money management.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
              Does this mean you're getting proper receipts for the babysitting amounts now? Hooray! Otherwise, didn't we tell you to stop paying??

Also, I seem to recall a conversation not long ago about how post-dated cheques are really just a meaningless courtesy and can be cashed anytime. Check for that thread for more useful info.
              RIOE--No, I am still not getting proper receipts. My ex says that the babysitter will give me a receipt at the end of the year.
              (The way our amendment was worded, I think she may be able to get away with it too....they wrote it vague)
              So for now, my lawyer said we'll wait it out and at the end of the year, if I don't get that receipt, then we file a motion of contempt on her.

At our meeting it was discussed in great detail that ex had to provide me with a receipt on a monthly basis--which would choose the kids were in child care/who was caring for them and that she was indeed paying this person the bill. (But they didn't write it that precise in the amendment)

Here is the exact wording from our amendment of the babysitting procedure

"Commencing in January of 2012, the parties will share the child care expense proportionately to their incomes. Bob's amount shall be 42.4% and Mary's portion shall be 57.6%. Mary will pay the child care expense and provide Bob with a receipt on a monthly basis. Bob will reimburse her within 20 days upon being advised of the amount owing. The parties will obtain their own separate receipts for the amounts they have each contributed. If Bob does not reimburse Mary within the 20 day period for his portion of the child care expense, Mary will be able to deduct all amounts paid by her and pursue Bob for payment of the arrears in child care."

So by the order that is written "Mary will pay the child care expense and provide Bob with a receipt on a monthly basis" (She is to pay the child care and then give me the receipt) Bob will reimburse her within 20 days upon being advised of the amount owing. (Amount owing according to the receipt)

But what she's doing instead is sending me an e-mail advising me of the amount---it says nothing in there about her e-mailing me the amount. (But the way they wrote it, I can see her manipulating it, saying the e-mail is advising me)

She originally never gave me any receipts...in March, she started b!tching because I refused to pay her for pd days that she denied me rofr. Her lawyer called my lawyer about it, saying I owed her for those days. My lawyer wrote her lawyer a letter saying how my ex was actually denying me rofr during those days and hadn't even provided me one receipt/wasn't following the procedure laid out in the amendment.

So then all of a sudden ex gave me receipts for Jan, Feb and March...but they were receipts from herself for the amount I gave her.

So I still have not seen any real proof of receipt that the kids are in child care/and that she is indeed paying this bill to someone.

So far I have not received receipts for April, May, June, and July now.

I just continue to pay to cover my end...and I guess at the end of the year, if I don't get a receipt of all the months added up, then we file a motion.

Comment

Why don't you visit the child care provider. You are entitle to visit where your child is taken care.

Secondly you can control your payment date by doing them electronically. You will have to print the confirmation receipt that indicate the account it went to, you can also talk to your bank to know the best way that leave a trace or proof of payment.

Do not rely on electronic history as it is not available for long period.

Comment

Originally posted by Moolight View Post
                  Why don't you visit the child care provider. You are entitle to visit where your child is taken care.

Secondly you can control your payment date by doing them electronically. You will have to print the confirmation receipt that indicate the account it went to, you can also talk to your bank to know the best way that leave a trace or proof of payment.

Do not rely on electronic history as it is not available for long period.
                  I sent the child care provider a letter and receipt book by registered mail as advised by my lawyer explaining the situation/requesting her to provide me with the receipts.

The child care provider would not even contact me about it. Instead, she gave the receipt book back to my ex. My ex gave me the receipt book back and said "You don't need to get the babysitter involved, you'll get a receipt at the end of the year!"

Comment

I don't even have online banking set up...but guess I should look in to it.
                    How do e-mail money transfers work? I send the money to her e-mail address? and how does she get it in her bank?

Comment

Originally posted by knackered View Post
                      I don't even have online banking set up...but guess I should look in to it.
                      How do e-mail money transfers work? I send the money to her e-mail address? and how does she get it in her bank?
                      https://www.cibc.com/ca/student-life...-transfer.html

Comment

Electronically is done from bank account to bank account. I will request confirmation of her banking account so she can not denied the info.

I wouldn't do the one via email...too risky...emails changes...bank account is more reliable.

You can set it up via online or go to your bank and they will do it for you and ask them to send you a monthly transaction confirmation.

Comment

Email money transfers are fast, easy, reliable and totally trackable. You send it from your bank account to her email, they send her a link to choose what bank to deposit in, she logs into her bank account from there and deposits the money. You get a confirmation when the transaction has been accepted. you write in the notes section of the email transfer that it is for CS for XX month or whatever the purpose of it is, keep copies of the email notifications that it has been accepted and the reference number.

If you can create an account on here and figure out how to post, you can easily figure out online banking!

In order to do it through the bank or set it up to deposit from your account to hers you would need her account information and many ex spouses don't want to share that information.

Perhaps speak to your bank and ask them what would be best for you.

Comment

Definitely email money transfers are the way to go. It costs $1.50 and you need only her email address and she can choose which banking institution or credit union that she wants the money deposited into. It takes about 10 minutes for the entire process and you will be notified that the transfer has been accepted and is 'complete.'

NSF cheques reflect badly on one's credit score. Getting the bank to reverse it is imperative.

Comment

blink - definitely like your new kitty picture better than the bunch of celery. Very cute! Love it!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X