This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that a lawful practice

I want to bring up an issue I had with my wife's lawyer.

First, few points to give you the context.

1. I did not see lawyer prior to announcing to my ex that I want a divorce. Nor did I do any kind of financial planning or hiding assets or anything else of that kind. I was under impression that we'd be able to work out a deal ourselves. However, I did think over a financial offer to her. In retrospect it was below than what she was entitled to by law, but not considerably. However I did not know any legal standards at the time.

2. Ex- asked me to put the offer on paper and I started working on separation agreement.

3. Ex- immediately went to lawyer and came back asking for more. I went on to speak to a lawyer too and educate myself on legal standards. I was not impressed with the first lawyer and continued to search for another one.

4. Ex- continued to pressure me into making sep. agreement asap. However I realized that my initial offer was not compatible with the law so I was spending time trying to make it work while staying withing roughly the same amount of money.

5. It so happened that one of the lawyer I was recommended was already employed by my ex-. (of course I did not know it then). So I called but instead of being told that they can't help me they told me the lawyer will call back. It might be a whole week passed by with me calling them and them telling me the same BS before I had a chat with my ex- during which I learned they are not going to call me back.

(This would be roughly 10-13 days from me asking for divorce)

It turns out that during that same week as my ex- grew exceeding anxious about me not giving her the Sep Agreement (which I drafted to some extent, but wanted to review with a lawyer) her lawyer was bullshitting her, pressuring into suing me asap, because, apparently otherwise I could do all kind of funny things to hide money, mortgage the house, or other shenanigans, or may be even already doing. Instead I was waiting for that mf lawyer to call me back.

So sue me she did.

My question is, did her lawyer do something unethical here or that's just part of the trade? Don't they HAVE to tell me they can't represent me, rather than giving me false "we'll call you back"?

I would love to see the lawyer's ass kicked for that stunt.

So sue me she did.
    Your ex filed an application for divorce? While it doesn't hurt your case that she filed it instead of you (saves you the $167 filing fee), it is strange that they would not want to negotiate if things were otherwise acceptable during the interim.

How much did you tell your ex's lawyer? If you just called them and were struggling to book an appointment, unfortunately there is not much to be done. It could be they are busy and simply did not get around to you. If you had an appointment, or discussed the particulars of your case with them, you could move to have your ex's lawyer removed on grounds of a conflict that arose due to her speaking to you.

Comment

Well now it is all over, I did not tell them anything but of course they knew who I am, because they got my name. Busy? Please. Conflict check is the first thing that the clerk of the lawyer does. It was their plan all along to make me waste time. Yeah, I figured they got their ass covered. It just boggles my mind that they allowed to used such tactics.

Yes, she sued me, because the lawyer convinced her that I was determined to screw her over.

Comment

It did not hurt my case, no, but they used the time to brainwash ex- into filing for divorce and paying them the retainer. All the while I was asking her not to spend money on lawyers.

Comment

They are in a conflict of interest if they meet you and receive information from you. If all they did was ignore you, they rude; they aren't breaking any laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
            They are in a conflict of interest if they meet you and receive information from you. If all they did was ignore you, they rude; they aren't breaking any laws.
            plus why wait a week for them to get back to him?? To me that would raise some flags right there that even if the lawyer was able to take him on as a client that prompt communication may become an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by randomjohndoe View Post
              It did not hurt my case, no, but they used the time to brainwash ex- into filing for divorce and paying them the retainer. All the while I was asking her not to spend money on lawyers.
              she has ever right to get a lawyer and find out her rights. You already said that you were working on a settlement that wasnt up to what she was suppose to get. Not that you were trying to rip her off or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                she has ever right to get a lawyer and find out her rights. You already said that you were working on a settlement that wasnt up to what she was suppose to get. Not that you were trying to rip her off or anything.
                You are missing a point. Of course she has a right to lawyer and I actually encouraged her to seek advise. But there is a difference between working out the SA independently and then filing joint app for divorce, and doing it through the lawyers.

Comment

What exactly are you looking for? Nobody did anything wrong. Perhaps the lawyer wasn't in a position to disclose that he was working with your ex at that point, perhaps it took a week to get back to you because the lawyer was on vacation. Either way, you told them nothing and they broke no laws.

There isn't a whole lot of difference in doing it together or filing on your own, the end result is the same and she has every right to file on her own (as you do).

If your big beef is that they didn't call you back, why on earth would you want a lawyer that didn't return your calls anyways?

Not really sure what you're looking for? Some kind of validation that someone wronged you in some way?

What exactly IS your point?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                    What exactly IS your point?
                    Seeking a reason to project blame at someone possibly.

Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                      Seeking a reason to project blame at someone possibly.

Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      Oh wow, so many wiki-trained psychologists over here. Bugger off people, I already got the straight answer that they did nothing wrong. Move along. No reason to strain your imagination coming up with ridiculous theories.

Comment

You are missing a point. Of course she has a right to lawyer and I actually encouraged her to seek advise. But there is a difference between working out the SA independently and then filing joint app for divorce, and doing it through the lawyers.
                        Don't be silly, apparently we're missing the point AFTER you got your 'straight answer'. Which was what again?

You're less than two weeks in, want to 'kick her lawyer's ass' for NOT doing anything wrong and fuming at people over the internet who point out there was no wrongdoing. You better hope this divorce goes smoothly otherwise you'll be a mess in two months' time.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                          Don't be silly, apparently we're missing the point AFTER you got your 'straight answer'. Which was what again?

You're less than two weeks in, want to 'kick her lawyer's ass' for NOT doing anything wrong and fuming at people over the internet who point out there was no wrongdoing. You better hope this divorce goes smoothly otherwise you'll be a mess in two months' time.
                          Learn to read before hitting reply button, buddy.

I've repeated two times in this thread - IT IS ALL OVER NOW. Meaning, "two weeks in" happened some time ago. Everything is settled, so no need for grim forecasts. I also explained quite clearly what they did wrong. I'm not going to repeat it. Straight answer is at the top of the thread, again, learn to read before replying.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                            plus why wait a week for them to get back to him?? To me that would raise some flags right there that even if the lawyer was able to take him on as a client that prompt communication may become an issue.
                            Yeah, waiting a week was silly on my part

Comment

I want to bring up an issue I had with my wife's lawyer.

First, few points to give you the context.

1. I did not see lawyer prior to announcing to my ex that I want a divorce. Nor did I do any kind of financial planning or hiding assets or anything else of that kind. I was under impression that we'd be able to work out a deal ourselves. However, I did think over a financial offer to her. In retrospect it was below than what she was entitled to by law, but not considerably. However I did not know any legal standards at the time.

2. Ex- asked me to put the offer on paper and I started working on separation agreement.

3. Ex- immediately went to lawyer and came back asking for more. I went on to speak to a lawyer too and educate myself on legal standards. I was not impressed with the first lawyer and continued to search for another one.

4. Ex- continued to pressure me into making sep. agreement asap. However I realized that my initial offer was not compatible with the law so I was spending time trying to make it work while staying withing roughly the same amount of money.

5. It so happened that one of the lawyer I was recommended was already employed by my ex-. (of course I did not know it then). So I called but instead of being told that they can't help me they told me the lawyer will call back. It might be a whole week passed by with me calling them and them telling me the same BS before I had a chat with my ex- during which I learned they are not going to call me back.

(This would be roughly 10-13 days from me asking for divorce)

It turns out that during that same week as my ex- grew exceeding anxious about me not giving her the Sep Agreement (which I drafted to some extent, but wanted to review with a lawyer) her lawyer was bullshitting her, pressuring into suing me asap, because, apparently otherwise I could do all kind of funny things to hide money, mortgage the house, or other shenanigans, or may be even already doing. Instead I was waiting for that mf lawyer to call me back.

So sue me she did.

My question is, did her lawyer do something unethical here or that's just part of the trade? Don't they HAVE to tell me they can't represent me, rather than giving me false "we'll call you back"?

I would love to see the lawyer's ass kicked for that stunt.
                              Insert numerous 'no' replies here.

Oh really? Still wondering what that point is.

Learn to read before hitting reply button, buddy.

I've repeated two times in this thread - IT IS ALL OVER NOW. Meaning, "two weeks in" happened some time ago. Everything is settled, so no need for grim forecasts. I also explained quite clearly what they did wrong. I'm not going to repeat it. Straight answer is at the top of the thread, again, learn to read before replying.
                              'They' did nothing wrong, "buddy".

If upir divorce is all done, why are you even asking this question? Who would even CARE at this point rather than just be happy to be done with it all? And why wait until now to question it if you had serious concerns?

Sounds like Buddy is looking for ways to stir the pot and be un-done for a while.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X