Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you have to provide health benefits for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you have to provide health benefits for?

If you were a married couple, who are now separated without any separation agreement, how long do you have to keep the other on your employer provided health benefits program. All we have is a custody order, through the OCJ, for our child which does not speak to health benefits.

Check with your provider what their coverage is for "separated" spouse. If they do provide coverage and if you have family coverage because you cover your child, I would suggest keeping your STBX on your plan until the divorce, unless you need to put a new partner on it. It won't cost you and it's a goodwill gesture (good for the Judge too).

Comment

well my ex has kept me on his benefits and it was his idea to put it into the separation agreement. I would keep your ex on it until you get the separation agreement done. It may be a pain in the ass to have them removed then put back on if it is ordered.

Comment

I was supposed to be on my ex husbands benefits until the actual divorce (it took 4 years to get the divorce done since it was contested). But he refused to sign any of my claim forms, and I found out after I had my wisdom teeth pulled that he refused to sign... even tho it was no cost to him. Sorry got off topic, lol. I think they have to keep you on it until you are actually divorced

Comment

We both had family coverage. She removed me from hers. I did not change anything cause I did not think I could. Our kid is still on both our plans but I cannot get reimbursed for their part when filling prescriptions under her insurance (co-pay). This has cost a few hundred dollars already.

Comment

Originally posted by kevindell View Post
            We both had family coverage. She removed me from hers. I did not change anything cause I did not think I could. Our kid is still on both our plans but I cannot get reimbursed for their part when filling prescriptions under her insurance (co-pay). This has cost a few hundred dollars already.
            if she has already removed you from hers then there should not be an issue with you removing her from yours. Fair is fair.

Comment

I called Sunlife directly back when we seperated, and they stated that he can't remove me legally, until we are divorced. That the only way he can remove me is if he lied and said we were divorced. Which I thought was a crapshoot anyways considering he refused to sign any of the forms, even though I was on his policy.
              When I asked Sunlife about the whole seperated/divorced issue, they said that sometimes some spouses will out of spite remove their spouse, when legally they are to keep them on until they are divorced, or there is an order that they can remove them from the policy if they are seperated.

You can call and ask whoever you are with, or your spouses for more clarification

Comment

I was informed by my provider that the ex could stay until we divorced.

Comment

I have to keep my ex on until I'm 65. It's court ordered, so even if I divorce him it still remains so.

Comment

Which company? And does he get the paperwork/re-imbursement cheques to his address or you forward it to him?

Comment

I have to keep my ex on until I'm 65. It's court ordered, so even if I divorce him it still remains so.
                      Lorac: Does that mean if you re-marry that you can't put your new spouse on your benefits?

Comment

I really don't know as I have never inquired. I'm 62 now and believe me I will never get married again, even my pension has him as sole beneficiary if I die before him. If I were to re-marry my spouse would not get my pension it would still go to my EX, how's that for BS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X