This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small business owners and child support

Is child support based on gross income before taxes or is there special rules for small business owners ? My ex neglected to file taxes for two years and when he finally got them done, he had a income for the two years of approximately 90,000. HIs lawyer said that once they deducted his rent, gas, and other such expenses he really only made 15,000-20,000 so he has been giving me 167.00 for our son. Is child support based on t4 alone ? I'm having difficulty supporting my child as I work in daycare and make around 700.00/month. I might add my ex is driving around a new van and has bought a home with his fiancee. Any advice ?

Yes, there are special disclosure requirements for business owners. He will have to disclosure the last 3 years income tax for the business, Financial Statements and all management fees & salary fees. Any benefits he is taking from the company i.e. company car can be imputed back to his income for child support purposes. If he has been hiding income through his company you can ask for retroactive child support.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X