Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 02:10 AM
broken_gal broken_gal is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17
broken_gal is on a distinguished road
Default Housing question


I have left an abusive situation. We own a home together and now am living with a friend. Does anyone know if I would qualify for public / co-op housing given that I technically own a home with my spouse and have a job (but currenty on maternity leave until the end of the year). I really cannot afford to live on my own. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM
dorano dorano is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
dorano is on a distinguished road

My recommendation to you would be to contact local resources (community centres, or even shelters for abused women, even if you don't stay there, they have great resources). Are you in Ottawa?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Mess Mess is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,448
Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Co-op housing has nothing to do with subsidies, ownership of other houses etc. It is not public housing, it is self-owned non-profit, meaning they charge just as much as it takes to maintain the buildings. There are no restrictions on who may live there. You would pay "market rent" but it would probably be much much less that a private apartment.

Public housing will be based on income, they don't look at assets, but there is generally a multi-year waiting list, depending on where you live.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM
momof6 momof6 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: southwestern ontario
Posts: 111
momof6 is on a distinguished road

I suggest you go to see FLIC at your local court house. I think a judge can order exclusive possession of matrimonial home: ask if this would make a difference and if it is worth pursuing (do this after contacting community resources to see if home ownership is even an impediment).

Just a thought. Usually women's shelters have counsellors on staff and are experienced in these matters.

If you have left an abusive situation, it would be good for you to access all the options available to you. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 PM
karmaseeker's Avatar
karmaseeker karmaseeker is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here :)
Posts: 470
karmaseeker is on a distinguished road

Where do you live?

Maybe this forum can set up a community classifieds. We can barely afford our mortgage after judge gave his ex half his pay. You could come rent our basement.

Last edited by karmaseeker; 07-17-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM
sjandme sjandme is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 176
sjandme is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are in Ottawa get in touch with the Violence Against Women program. Don't hesitate. If you have children you might be short listed for subsidized housing.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Child and Spousal Support deevusone Divorce & Family Law 13 05-09-2012 10:08 PM
Hello and child support question noelle78 Introductions 13 01-25-2011 09:55 PM
Tricky financial question sshygirl Divorce & Family Law 6 06-17-2009 11:36 AM
Moving Question Neets Divorce & Family Law 6 01-15-2009 11:27 PM
A question about common-law after divorce. Sk8r Divorce & Family Law 1 11-04-2005 10:20 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 AM.