Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Anita Anita is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Anita is on a distinguished road
Default Limited Company

My legally separated partner and I own and work a limited company together. The house is our business asset. He lives in it and I am in an apartment. We have been apart for over 5 years now and I would like my money out so I can start saving and investing in my future... how can I do this gracefully. I believe if I demand the money our company will collapse . We can't take a mortgage on a company asset... any ideas out there... we are 50/50 in shares right now.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Amber Amber is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 32
Amber is on a distinguished road

It's great to hear someone else works in the same business with the ex! How's that working for you? Sounds like your questions may be best answered by an accountant, but you are probably not wanting to approach your company's accountant with this right now. You mentioned the house your ex is living in is a business asset. Could you not mortgage it? I have a friend who went through a separation. He has a building that he runs the business out of and living quarters up above. It was mortgaged, but the mortgage was paid down about 50%. He needed to fund his equalization payment to his ex and was able to top up the mortgage on the building and raise part of the funds in that manner. Just a thought!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Anita Anita is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2
Anita is on a distinguished road
Default Limited Companies

Thankyou Amber... Upon going to the accountant he explained that one cannot take a mortgage out on a limited asset and the house is in the business name. The house being the prime asset of the business.
And then the captital taxes are high 31% with a limited company.
When and if I go to the bank to see about a mortgage on the business (house asset) they will want me to sign... and that is not what I want to do.
Actually I want to sell my shares to someone... as I see that is the only way he can stay there. What do people or married partners do in this circumstance when their hoome is not a matrimonial home but a business asset???
Old 03-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Grace Grace is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 860
Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about


Do you have a shareholders agreement in place? Was there provisions made in that agreement as to what happens if a partner wants out?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 AM
emguy68 emguy68 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 9
emguy68 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to emguy68

There might be a way to refiance the house. That would have to be looked at. You should talk to a mortgage consultant instead of a bank as their are different types of lenders. I am not saying that it will be a easy. I do not know the full story. I will admit it would be easier if it was refianced into his name. Being a mortgage specialist myself in the Ottawa area, I have seen a couple of cases similar. Some worked and some didn't. I do service Ontario and Quebec. One of the important factors is if the house secures any other debt? Total equity? Try a mortgage specialist. They might be able to help.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.