Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Workin is on a distinguished road
Unhappy What does child support cover?

I'm guessing this is different for every situation. I've been looking through the government sites and Googling about, but I only see what is considered extraordinary, but what about what is not?

Here are the specifics ... I only have my girls 2 weekends a month. I pick them up Friday night and drop them of Sunday night.

They have now outgrown all of the clothes that I originally had for them. I asked my ex to send new Pajamas and summer clothes with them for the weekends I had them.

She informed me that clothing for my weekends was not covered by child support and I should go buy some myself. It seems odd that I would buy a summer wardrobe for my girls that they will outgrow by the end of summer and only have worn a few times. Plus if they like the clothes I'm certainly not going to stop them from taking them back to their moms.

Of course I will buy them clothes if that's what is required, but then I wonder why am I paying so much child support if it doesn't even cover clothes??
Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
billiechic is on a distinguished road

If you are paying the full table amount, then the clothes should be covered. If you are paying less than then table amount, then she has a point.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
NotSoNiceEx is on a distinguished road

It really amazes me how petty and stupid some people can be. For Gods sake these are yor children, saying she won't provide clothes on your time is insane and doesn't keep the child in mind. I don't understand it, I really don't, my child's father never paid me a dime of child support even though he was ordered to. I never stopped him from seeing his daughter and encouraged a relationship for them, he only utilized his visits when it suited him. I didn't speak about him negatively even though sometimes I was angry. This was a man I once loved and to take it out on our child because our relationship ended even if it wasn't my fault doesn't make sence. He has just as much right to be around her as I do. I just wish some people could wake up!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 AM
HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Child support covers your portion of the childs needs for the month. These needs includ food, shelter, clothing etc.

As clothes are covered in these needs they are supposed to be provided. I mean, it is for the needs of the MONTH, and as far as I know you time would be included in that big time of "month".

Your ex sounds like mine. I only ever get D4 and her blankie, that is it. First her reasoning was that I needed to act more like a parent and supply my own. Now it is because she says I have ruined some of her clothes, which is entirely untrue. She is just doing it to be difficult.

You should have a couple outfits at your place just in case, but to have a full on wardrobe just causes extra costs to you when you've technically already paid for it.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by billiechic View Post
If you are paying the full table amount, then the clothes should be covered. If you are paying less than then table amount, then she has a point.
Yes, I pay the full amount.

So it sounds like I am not crazy here. I always think after two years this would all be over. But I guess it depends on who you are dealing with.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
NBDad is on a distinguished road

By the letter of the law, if you have the children under 40% of the time, you should be paying full table amounts and it is the Custodial Parent's responsibility to provide sufficient clothing/etc for your access.

It'd be no different than them going to a sleepover at a friends house, would she expect the parents of the children's friends to provide the kids with clothing/etc?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Cobourg is on a distinguished road

My ex even takes it a step further.
If the kids have a school trip on "my day" during the week or another school event like a fun fair or book drive, she tells them to ask me to pay for it.
I pay full table amounts and a ton of SS too.
She won't pay anything towards the kids sports or other activities, so I pay those too.
I won't let my kids not be able to do things because their mother is a bitter and short sited person.
I just find a way to make it work for them.
My advise is to enjoy your time with your kids. If that means buying a new dress or new PJ's from Walmart to see your little girls smile, isn't that all worth it?
I am not saying it is right, but sometimes "it is what it is"
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM

I'm sure in the end, this is exactly what will happen. Choose your battles and all that.

I actually like shopping with them and am kind of looking forward to it. But the bitterness you get from the other side always riles me up.

I certainly don't have any extra money (my SS is high as well), but as you say, you do what you gotta do. I'll just pick what makes the most sense, pajamas, pair of shorts, etc.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Technodaddy is on a distinguished road

It will NEVER end dude.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
enoughalready is on a distinguished road

I hope there are CP's reading this and seeing how petty things are. I wonder if it was reversed how they would feel. You just want to spend the weekend with your kids and now you have to worry about whether or not your ex spouse sends them clothes or not.
When is someone ever going to just look out for the best interests of the kids and not just trying to cause more unnecessarily friction because that is what hurts the children.
Closed Thread

child support, clothing, covers, expenses