Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 AM
bcman bcman is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
bcman is on a distinguished road
Default need custody and guardianship suggestion

i will have to leave the country to work overseas. so my kid will basically live with my wife. i need suggestion on the most common way of dealing with custody/guardianship under this situation? thx.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
dinkyface dinkyface is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,476
dinkyface will become famous soon enough

The main issue is who has authority to make major decisions i.e. sole vs joint custody. How you arrange access/visitation during your absence and when you return is a completely separate issue.

Is this a temporary situation i.e. will you be returning after 2 years?

Joint Custody - you have to agree on the decisions, and for some things will both have to sign paperwork e.g. consent forms. Do you think you can make this work from abroad? Possibly you could sign something like a time-limited power of attorney over to your ex to cover the period you are away.

Sole Custody to mother - she makes the decisions. You may be consulted, but your consent is not required. (But it has very little impact on access/visitation - except that nasty CS $$ disputes arise if you want more than 40% time)

The difficulty is that whatever custody you decide on will be very hard to change later.

Last edited by dinkyface; 01-06-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
dadtotheend's Avatar
dadtotheend dadtotheend is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,644
dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

You not being around (you don't say for how long) will very likely result in status quo which will favour sole custody for your ex.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
bcman bcman is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
bcman is on a distinguished road

My lawyer actually suggested sole custody/joint guardianship.
As stated in bclawresource, "parents can share joint guardianship of a child even though one of the parents has sole custody of the child."

"Where sole guardianship is ordered or agreed to in a family agreement, one parent has control over all aspects of raising the child to the exclusion of the other parent. The parent without guardianship has no entitlement to obtain information from the children's teachers or doctors and no authority to give them instructions.

As the effect of sole guardianship is to strip one parent of his or her role in the raising of his or her children, orders or agreements providing for sole guardianship are the exception rather than the rule. When these sorts of orders or agreements are made, the personal circumstances of the parties are usually fairly extreme, or one parent has proven him- or herself to be obviously disinterested or incapable of proper parenting."

Sole guardianship will exclude me from the right of even talk to my son's teacher, which seems unacceptable to me.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
child alienation---please your help brokendad Parenting Issues 16 07-03-2011 12:57 AM
custody and guardianship bcman Parenting Issues 2 01-01-2010 04:00 PM
Interjurisdictional Nightmare smadax Divorce & Family Law 8 01-29-2007 05:15 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 PM.