Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Neurotoxin Neurotoxin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16
Neurotoxin is on a distinguished road
Question Pay half the bills? Too much???

My wife and I recently separated (2 weeks) and I left our matrimonial home. I am currently living wherever I can and only went back to the home to get my clothes. We have met several times to discuss a separation agreement and have not hammered out a final. While discussing financials I asked her to pay for half the monthly house bills. I am no longer living there and due a recent salary reduction and living off fast food etc. I'm strapped for cash. IMO she is just as responsible for her 50% as am I. She said that she will not based on the fact that I always paid all the bills. She makes more than enough to cover the bills so I don’t' really know what game she's playing. Since my name is on everything I will have to find a way to pay the bills. What are your thoughts on that if she doesn't pay then I occupy the home??? I'm not sure she'd leave if I moved back in though.....

Thanks in advance.....
Old 07-29-2009, 05:39 PM
PhoenixRising PhoenixRising is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 103
PhoenixRising is on a distinguished road

If the bills are in your name I would cut them off. If they are in her name I would consider it her debt. It could take months or years to hammar out a separation agreement. That is what I would do.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM
standing on the sidelines standing on the sidelines is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 5,253
standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

I would mve back in and tell her that if she expects you to pay the bills then you are living there.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
singledad99 singledad99 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 289
singledad99 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Phoenix and SOTS. Either move back in or take your name off the bills. It's never a good idea to leave the home without an agreement. Do you have any kids?

Tell her that you would be asking for occupational rent for exclusively using the house. Utilities are part of occupancy costs and whoever occupies the house is responsible for them. The only thing you would be required to pay half and half is the property tax on the house.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 PM
today today is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 322
today is on a distinguished road

Simple solution, get on the phone and cancel eveything. Very very easy. If you feel to harsh, send her a registered letter...something to the effect since you no longer reside in the matrimonial home you will be removing your name/cancelling all accounts in your name as of a date that you feel fair, say 30 gays notice. It's a non issue no one wold expect you to pay given your statements.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM
billm's Avatar
billm billm is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,431
billm is on a distinguished road

Do you have kids or not?

If no kids then tell her that you will be cancelling the bills in your name effective on month from now and provide her with the information on which companies she should contact to get them in her name. Mortgage is another issue as are property taxes, but the utilities is a good place to start.

If there are kids, then you have to start paying CS according to the tables and your custody situation (though it would seem she is taking care of them if you have children), once you start paying CS, then you can cancel the utilities in your name as mentioned above.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 AM
first timer first timer is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 228
first timer is on a distinguished road

Move back in until you hammer out a separation agreement then have the agreement reviewed by a lawyer before you sign it. Speak to a lawyer, usually they will offer an hour of free advice to get an understanding of your case. Call as many lawyers as you can until you understand your rights.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Neurotoxin Neurotoxin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16
Neurotoxin is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. No, we do not have kids. I think I'll attempt to move back in. I have to speak to a lawyer first.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inherited Home is she entitled to half in the separation agreement? Queenangel717 Financial Issues 12 11-06-2009 10:52 AM
Ex Common Law Spouse Entitled to Half of my Pension in Nova Scotia cyanaura Divorce & Family Law 10 02-18-2009 06:52 AM
Half Time Custody kidsmom Divorce & Family Law 8 01-30-2009 08:20 AM
Credit Card Bills Wudant Financial Issues 1 10-10-2008 11:09 PM
Utility Bills for Matrimonial Home Linjohn Financial Issues 2 08-21-2006 01:01 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.