Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce Support

Divorce Support This forum is for discussing the emotional aspects of divorce: stress, anger, betrayal of trust and more.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Natz1007 Natz1007 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1
Natz1007 is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help Me!!

My husband announced three months ago that he has met someone else and is leaving. He moved out that very weekend. He left with his suitcase and a television and moved back in with his parents. We were not in the best financial situation, and he promised to help me out, and we made arrangements for payments over a period of time.

However, now that he is in the comfort of his parents home, he will no longer take my calls, refuses to pay me anything, and even cleared out our joint bank account. I am now behind in my rent, have already had my hydro cut off, and my gas is now pending disconnection. I have an eight year old son, and this is beyond stressful. I have now made travels to the local food bank. what are my rights????? I am scared to death, and have no idea what to do. I have been with this man since I was 21, so this is all new to me.

Please help me,

Old 11-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Grace Grace is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 860
Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

Stressful to say the least!!! Do you have family or friends near by that you can stay with, you can't live with no hydro and a child. If not please consider going to a women's shelter, or at least contact one. They will be able to assist you to what resources are available to you. You will need to contact Legal Aid to assist you in the procedure for getting child/spousal support from your ex. You would definitely be considered, before the courts, as an emergency situation.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Lindsay's Avatar
Lindsay Lindsay is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 378
Lindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Grace. Legal Aid Ontario is the best way to go for those in such a dire financial situation. Their toll-free number is 1-800-668-8258.

Natx1007, you may also want to contact the Lawyer Referral Service provided by the Law Society of Upper Canada at 1-800-668-7380. This service will connect you with a lawyer who will provide you with a half-hour consultation for $6.00 (charged to your phone bill).

Best of luck to you. I hope things turn up for you soon.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:14 PM
logicalvelocity logicalvelocity is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,943
logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Sorry to hear about your current circumstance;

If the individual moved into his parents, I suspect his financial situation must be poor.

I am not sure if you currently own your residence but another option you might be able to do is to apply for social assistance until the matter goes before the court to tide you over in the meantime.

Social assistance can also assit you with the legal matters of pursuing support.

What you would have then is a guaranteed source of income in the interm until the legal matters are settled.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:41 PM
ladyluck ladyluck is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 95
ladyluck is on a distinguished road

Legally, I dont believe he can do that.
Are the agreements you made in writing, or just verbal?

He is pretty much entitled to help you out!
Threaten legal action if he will not comply.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Julie Julie is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 128
Julie is on a distinguished road

Everything has to be in writing.. thats what law is.
Law is not based on word of mouth

Maybe I read your experience wrong, however I agree with LadyLuck in that without a signed declaration, he really has no rights.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.