Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road
Default how to change your name?

When you divorce, is it like when you marry and your name automatically changes and you dont need to fill out any government paperwork or no fee (at least that is the way it was when I married 20 years ago), or do you need to apply for a name change and pay a fee?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:23 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

When I married 30 years ago I would have had to have filled out a form to legally change my name to my husband's name. I did not do that. I maintained my maiden name. I used my married name for things such as son's school to keep things easier for teachers.

If you never legally changed your name, chances are you can simply revert to using your maiden name. Your bank will let you know. Perhaps check with Vital Statistics to see what your status is.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:33 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

What is your last name on your Birth Certificate? I believe that is your legal name. Then its just running around and changing other documents such as drivers license and passport, etc. if you used your married name for them. They may want to see paperwork, such as your marriage license and divorce papers.