Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM

DivorceSucksCanada is on a distinguished road
Default SS with good income

This is my first post. Trying to see the odds for getting SS.

2 kids (age 5&7)
Spouse income: $150K
My income: $100K
Together 12 years

Any chance or cases for SS that may assist? Or know if there is background evidence of not taking a new/different job with more stress/demands to ensure I was around for assisting children more as spouse climbed the corporate ladder/traveled for work.

SSAG shows 0/0/high end range number (say $500)
Read that sometimes they just take the mid range but in my case that would be $0. Does anyone ever get some/part of the high end range?

I searched/found some threads where it was deemed this salary range is self sufficient so may not apply but I know there are always exceptions to the rules. Trying to see if there is anything I can do to ensure in the end our take home is more 50/50 which would allow in my budget numbers for some of those extras for the kids (based on current expenses) like a vacation or some nice presents/birthday party. And yes, I know I make good money however the costs for housing/bills I have calculated are not leaving me a lot of wiggle room if I hope to stay in my area with the mortgage/bills, etc.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivorceSucksCanada View Post
Spouse income: $150K
My income: $100K
...and you're hoping to stick him with SS? I'm guessing this is not an amicable separation .

Quote:
SSAG shows 0/0/high end range number (say $500)
Read that sometimes they just take the mid range but in my case that would be $0. Does anyone ever get some/part of the high end range?
Obviously some people get something other than mid range, or there would be no reason to publish those values. You would like to have to show that your career was significantly impacted by raising the children.

Making employment choices that allowed you to assume a greater burden for child rearing in return for a lower income would certainly be a potential case for compensatory SS. The problem is, do you have any evidence? How much has your income producing ability been impacted?

How many years were you out of the workforce?

Is your ex often away for extended vacations?

What kind of custody arrangement are you anticipating for the child(ren)?

The last question shouldn't matter but it really really does.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:05 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Why not just state outright that you want the take-home to be 50/50, and let him try to argue why that is unfair?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:37 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Or you can just trade up for a guy who makes more!!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:40 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

all of the above reasons plus:

12 years is not a long-term marriage. I was awarded the high end as I was married 30 years. I was 54 years old at time of separation/divorce and too old to jump back into my former career and earn same amount had I not missed 30 years.

Do you meet criteria for "Rule of 65"? Add your age and years married - if it is greater than 65 you might have something....

If you did get SS it would be for a very limited time and likely not worth what you would have to spend on lawyer to take this through family court for several years.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:12 PM

paris is on a distinguished road

Who has custody of the kids? If you do, his CS is 25k per year. That makes your incomes the same.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:40 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

something else to consider is that SS is 100% taxable to recipient and 100% tax deductible to payor....
Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

And this is an example of "male abuse"....gimme, gimme, gimme.....
Old 12-22-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
...and you're hoping to stick him with SS? I'm guessing this is not an amicable separation .

Obviously some people get something other than mid range, or there would be no reason to publish those values. You would like to have to show that your career was significantly impacted by raising the children.

Making employment choices that allowed you to assume a greater burden for child rearing in return for a lower income would certainly be a potential case for compensatory SS. The problem is, do you have any evidence? How much has your income producing ability been impacted?

How many years were you out of the workforce?

Is your ex often away for extended vacations?

What kind of custody arrangement are you anticipating for the child(ren)?

The last question shouldn't matter but it really really does.
To answer your questions:
* I turned down a promotion for children.
* Only took off a year for mat leave for each child
* He used to travel about 25% of the time. This has stopped in the last year.
* Custody will be 50/50
Old 12-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
all of the above reasons plus:

12 years is not a long-term marriage. I was awarded the high end as I was married 30 years. I was 54 years old at time of separation/divorce and too old to jump back into my former career and earn same amount had I not missed 30 years.

Do you meet criteria for "Rule of 65"? Add your age and years married - if it is greater than 65 you might have something....

If you did get SS it would be for a very limited time and likely not worth what you would have to spend on lawyer to take this through family court for several years.
Thanks Arabian. I not at 65 rule - close though.