Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divorce Decree, how long does it take to get it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce Decree, how long does it take to get it?

My partner has had an uphill battle to get his divorce. To make a long story short, it's been 12 years dealing with an insecure and selfish exwife and now the FOURTH lawyer.
    This lawyer was recommended through the Men's Divorce Centre in Toronto. My partner had spoken to him many times, got good advice from him and decided to hire him to clean up the mess the previous lawyer had made, which he did.
    The lawyer is well aware that we had been making marriage plans based on the information he gave my partner: That the Decree comes after about 4 - 6 weeks of filing the documents. Based on that we should have had the Decree 2 months ago. Until this last situation came up, he was on track and then stopped returning calls. Am I missing something?
    When my partner finally got a hold of him last week, he made it clear that he was keen to get this finished up and that he is to always return calls. The lawyer has now called back once, but has no info. How do you get these guys to do the job you are paying them to do? Can you bypass your lawyer and get answers directly from the courts as to where your documents are? Is there an expiration date between filing and receiving documents? Has anyone else waited too long for this?
    Any good advice out there?
    We are beyond frustrated!

My divorce degree took 3 months to make it's way through the court system. I was told this was typical. So hang in there for another few weeks.

As far as lawyers not returning phone calls, it is a problem with many clients. Try snail mail or e-mails were it can be documented.

Ex changing lawyers for the fourth time is a "red flag" that they are delaying proceedings.

Good luck, you must be exasperated.

Comment

It is unfortunate that the system creates so much added undue stress and strain on an already stressed and strained situation.

Unfortunately lawyers are people too and most of them have flaws like other people, and some of those flaws include not being considerate.

Hopefully it gets resolved for you soon so you can get married and move on with your life!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X