Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Divorce Divorce is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Divorce is on a distinguished road
Default Dividends T5

Are dividends on T5 used to calculate child support?
If so, is there any case where they would not be? (I.e. Dividends beings used to pay business loan)
And what are the consquences if T5 was not disclosures upon financial disclosure in calculating child and spousal support? Can I go after legal costs associated with lack of financial disclosure?
How should I proceed?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 AM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,044
rockscan will become famous soon enough

Yes and no. Its a grey area.

For the most part, T5 income used to off set other costs is technically not income, it is being used for other costs. However, if T5 income is just that--income, then yes it is used for cs calculations.

You would have to a)demonstrate it isnt being used as income, b) prove what your actual income is, and c) cross your fingers and hope the judge agrees.

My partner has T5 income annually because he put money away for his share of his kids school expenses. The T5 income is normally $30-75 annually which doesnt make a big difference on his income for cs and he doesnt use his line 150 for calculation anyway. His lawyer said it could be argued that it is not income since its a low amount and the money is only income because he withdrew it for s7 purposes.

Every case is different though. If you have business expenses etc then line 150 wouldnt be an ideal way to calculate cs because your true income would be calculated differently than how cra calculates for tax purposes.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Desperate_Dad Desperate_Dad is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 162
Desperate_Dad is on a distinguished road

No it shouldn't be used as income. You can pay yourself any dividend you want. It can be more than you make or less than you make. In lieu of using dividends, I would suggest using the before tax profit of the corporation. This would be an imputed grossed up dividend. I'm assuming this is a corporate dividend for an individual who owns their own corporation. If its an investment dividend, I would exclude it altogether.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Children are Shareholders, can they sue? Karver Divorce & Family Law 5 05-18-2015 11:08 AM
Dividends to kids mcdreamy Financial Issues 8 05-02-2013 05:45 PM
Divorcemate Fraud - Dividends Desperate_Dad Financial Issues 0 04-29-2013 08:38 PM
dividends Canadaguy Financial Issues 6 05-11-2012 02:20 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.