Need a lawyer willing to bundle services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a lawyer willing to bundle services

Does anyone know how to go about finding a lawyer who is willing to bundle service? There is a 99% chance we are going to trial in the fall. I want to self rep and am looking for a lawyer who can look over my materials to advise if I have done things correctly, and to give me pointers on how to proceed.

Not looking forward to trial for several reasons
    1. In my case trial will solve nothing
    2. My ex will continue to take me to court long after the trial and for so long as he lives
    3. Our issues are so complicated that I'm sure a 3 day trial
    Will have no problem morphing into a 60 day trial
    4.a trial brings no hope whatsoever of any sort of resolution but only complete financial obliteration
    5. I will lose my job because of time lost due to a long, protracted trial and will never work again
    6. I can't even go on welfare because there is too much marital money tied up in trust which I can not access
    7. What's the point in going to trial? I feel like somebody in the movies being forced at gunpoint to dig my own and my children's graves

What province do you live in?
    I went through a JDR instead of trial. (Binding arbitration). Took a day with a judge as arbitrator. We basically had the chance to settle (with assistance of the judge) but if we were unable to come to agreement the judge made the decision. We both entered into the binding arbitration agreeing to the terms. In Alberta you can do this with a judge and you just pay for your own lawyer's fees. Sitting through the process, knowing that someone else would decided if we couldn't decide, made the difference. Process was private. No witnesses and at end of process the submissions were destroyed.

An alternative for you anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
      Does anyone know how to go about finding a lawyer who is willing to bundle service? There is a 99% chance we are going to trial in the fall. I want to self rep and am looking for a lawyer who can look over my materials to advise if I have done things correctly, and to give me pointers on how to proceed.

Not looking forward to trial for several reasons
      1. In my case trial will solve nothing
      2. My ex will continue to take me to court long after the trial and for so long as he lives
      4.a trial brings no hope whatsoever of any sort of resolution but only complete financial obliteration
      5. I will lose my job because of time lost due to a long, protracted trial and will never work again
      6. I can't even go on welfare because there is too much marital money tied up in trust which I can not access
      7. What's the point in going to trial? I feel like somebody in the movies being forced at gunpoint to dig my own and my children's graves
      You could try calling Legal Aid even though you may not qualify for free services - they might be able to suggest some lawyers in your area who would be willing to act as legal consultants?

Concerning your other questions, here's my thoughts in blue:

1. In my case trial will solve nothing.
      You actually don't know that until you go.
      Hopefully, he'll get over himself one day. Once he finds another partner, he won't have time for this nonsense. Bitterness will wear off.
      I've never heard of a 60 trial? A competent judge would settle things way before that.
      That's usually the case, nobody wins except the lawyers.
      You may lose your job, but how can you say that you will never work again?
      If you have zero earnings and can prove that you have no access to marital finances - you will be able to ask for welfare. This is Canada!
      You are being overly dramatic here. Divorce is no picnic, but in time you will recover - as we all do. Take it one day at a time.

Comment

I think you are referring to UN bundled services. Just call up a law firm and ask. Many will provide this service now. If you live near Toronto check out Andrew Feldsteins firm...they do unbundled and special services for self reps.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X