Braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braces

I took my son to the dentist today (x knows) and I informed her that the dentist recommend that he should see an orthodontist. I told her of this she stated just let her take care of it as she doesn't want two people working on it if they decide to have it done (I know that only 1 ortho can do the work). This is something I would like to do for my son as I know the problems that come with having overcrowded teeth. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advanced.

Originally posted by mathewoliviera View Post
    I took my son to the dentist today (x knows) and I informed her that the dentist recommend that he should see an orthodontist. I told her of this she stated just let her take care of it as she doesn't want two people working on it if they decide to have it done (I know that only 1 ortho can do the work). This is something I would like to do for my son as I know the problems that come with having overcrowded teeth. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advanced.
    It sounds like your ex just wants to avoid having both of you do consultations with an orthodontist and then argue about which one to go with.

Did the dentist recommend a specific orthodontist? Why not just go with that one? If not, ask for a recommendation, and then you can both attend the consultation.

Your ex is either a control freak and absolutely wants to be the one to handle orthodontics, or she doesn't trust that you'll do it?

Comment

Braces are a s7 expense, which would require the consent of both parents before incurring expenses, barring extreme circumstances.

Fwiw, I had our kidlet with 3 orthodontists for quotes and advised/booked appointments with my ex in advance, so he was at each preliminary consultation, and we each had an opportunity to review before we agreed on a final treatment plan.
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

I actually finally pushed enough so I could take him to the dentist. I informed her of all what was going on and she stated she wants to look into it if they decide to do it for him. I absolutely don't mind working with her or paying for a portion of I just want to be sure he gets some treatment and if done early enough can help how extreme it would be later down the road and more complex. I'm just unsure of what to do if she doesn't want to

Comment

Originally posted by mathewoliviera View Post
          I actually finally pushed enough so I could take him to the dentist. I informed her of all what was going on and she stated she wants to look into it if they decide to do it for him. I absolutely don't mind working with her or paying for a portion of I just want to be sure he gets some treatment and if done early enough can help how extreme it would be later down the road and more complex. I'm just unsure of what to do if she doesn't want to
          Why not give her a bit of time? Braces need to be fitted sooner rather than later, but a few months probably won't make a difference. You've informed her of what the dentist said, you can follow up in 2-3 months - "By the way, have you gotten Kid an appointment with the orthodontist yet?". If she says no, make an appointment and take him yourself. Braces are a necessity, no one can fault you for moving ahead. Give Mom a chance, and if she doesn't follow up, no more discussion is necessary, you just handle it yourself.

Comment

Bear in mind too that a lot of health care professionals recommend treatments where the benefits are minor. My childhood dentist said that I didn't need braces due to the two misaligned teeth in my mouth, since I have a more of a closed mouth smile, and don't flash a mouth full of teeth. My current dentist keeps telling me that he can "fix" them.

I always ask if he would still recommend the course of action if he were to agree to relinquish the referral fee.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!.....He is going to have overcrowded teeth he has large teeth and a smaller jaw. The dentist did not refer us to anyone orthodontist in particular, she just suggested that we decide on one as they all usually do free consultations.

Comment

Something I remember from when our son started to have orthodontic work done is that appointments are scheduled a year in advance. For example, my son would go for his monthly adjustments at 2:00 on a Wednesday. The "prime" times (after school) are usually the first to be taken.

If you dick around with your ex over which orthodontist to see you may end up getting the absolute worst times.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                  Something I remember from when our son started to have orthodontic work done is that appointments are scheduled a year in advance. For example, my son would go for his monthly adjustments at 2:00 on a Wednesday. The "prime" times (after school) are usually the first to be taken.

If you dick around with your ex over which orthodontist to see you may end up getting the absolute worst times.
                  That wasn't my experience. Maybe it's changed over time, or maybe different orthodontists do it differently.

That said, of course it's better to be cooperative parents and get the orthodontic work done as well and as efficiently as possible.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X