Looking for good ottawa lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good ottawa lawyer

Hey everyone! So glad I found this forum. Read some really interesting things so far.

We're going to court soon for Settlement Conference.
    Because of financial hardship we had to drop our lawyer... now, after thinking about it, we think the financial burden could be worth is since being self-rep so far hasn't worked so well.

I'm looking for recommendations for good lawyers, that would accept to represent us in court. We are going to do all the paperwork and preparations. All the lawyer(s) will have to do is overlook the papers, makes sure they are filled properly, serve the other party, and spend a few hours in court.

Our previous lawyer quoted us at 4000 just for going to court - we think it's a bit too much for not even half a day.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Originally posted by OntarioDaddy View Post
    There are quite a few threads on lawyers from Ottawa in the search function.

I'm curious why self-repping hasn't worked so well for you? Maybe now that you've found this forum, you'll have better luck.
    Thanks, I did look but I wanted specific names and feedback.. I'll look again.

The judge was very arrogant, would always cut us when we talked but would let the other party's lawyer talk forever about allegations which were not even pertaining to the issues we were currently there for.

It's a very high conflic relationship. BM has refused mediation twice, has withheld information on the child, lied under oath, etc... and even if we had the documentation to proove the opposite of what she was saying the judge granted her to move away from the Ottawa jurisdiction, a higher child support, etc...

We had done our in dept reaseach and were very much prepared for court but it seems like the Judge was very 'biological mother'' oriented unfortunatly and did not take us seriously. I hope we get another one for the settlement conference.

Comment

Yeah.. he didn't even open any documentation. Hopefully will in the settlement. We have done everything in the best interest of the child even when it worked against us.

We had agreed for the child to live primarly with her mother because she has a undeclared home daycare, and the child has an older sibling that is from a different father and in our eyes it was in her best interest to not be separated from her sibling. BM is now pregnant with a third child from a third man. She has provided no stability to the child.

She is moving 90 minutes away, which means we will most likely never be able to attend activities and be involved in her life like we wished. Her home daycare add is up with her new address, but yet BM is telling us she does not have a confirmed residence yet.

With the child support and child custody issues, we are also filing against PAS. CAS has refused to get involved and FRO is not returning our calls.

It's hard to find a good and smart lawyer!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X