How come Family Law makers won't...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come Family Law makers won't...

I'm just wondering why Family Law is reluctant to change CS...and where I am going with this relates to Table amounts.
    I currently pay Table amount of CS because I am unable to reach the 40% threshold to have shared parenting. My work prevents this - and until I can later that - I am currently at about 32%.
    Is it so difficult to set up a graduated scale of CS payment based on the some formula taking into account the number of hours or days the OP has with the children?
    I could turn my back on my kids (which I would never do) and still only pay what is the Table amount.
    Yet when I have the kids - I buy food - have beds for them to sleep in - they use utilities - I buy clothes - gifts - meals out - spend gas to take them to their activities - car wear etc...
    Has any lawyer or action group ever lobbied to try to get the rules concerning CS altered? If not....why not?

I'm not disputing the need for CS - but an all or nothing based on a threshold of 40% access time seems very one-sided.

Maybe I'm just living in a fantasy land

cheers

You have a good idea, it just the logistics that would be a nightmare.

How to figure out the hours especially with holidays etc would be very hard. Does the CS amount get changed every month due to maybe having more hours or less hours?

Easy to say that things should be changed, harder to do. What are your ideas on this?

Comment

How do they determine 40%??
      Is it nights you have the kids?
      is it 'days' you are deemed to be in care/charge of the kids? If the kids come to my house after school and I am home all day and I am the person of contact for that day- does that count?
      is it hours?
      As for vacations - I would suspect they would cancel themselves out.
      I agree - it can me a logistical nightmare...but maybe there should be levels then..0-10% of the time...10-20%...20-30%...then 30-40%.

I currently pay 1610.00/mth - 2 kids - Table amount
      If I get to 39%...I still pay that.
      If I get to 40%...it drops by 650.00

If they can drop CS then...why can't they drop it gradually as you move away from the 40% threshold?

Just think this is a very unfair position for the payor ...man or woman...

Comment

Isn't it Quebec that calculated CS based on percentage of time with each parent? And it isn't as cut and dry as 40%

Comment

yep...they do...doesn't help me here in Ontario though

Comment

Actually, regardless of the time the children are with each parent they should look at the logistics. We provide each child with their own room. They have their own laptops, bikes, clothing here. From winter wear to rain boots. Fishing rods, etc. Our costs are the same but we fund everything twice - at their mothers and again here. In fact, many times we fund it multiple times since some stuff goes there and falls into a black hole if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
              Actually, regardless of the time the children are with each parent they should look at the logistics. We provide each child with their own room. They have their own laptops, bikes, clothing here. From winter wear to rain boots. Fishing rods, etc. Our costs are the same but we fund everything twice - at their mothers and again here. In fact, many times we fund it multiple times since some stuff goes there and falls into a black hole if you know what I mean.
              I got some stuff back from the black hole unexpectedly the other day. It was weird! But lucky for me, my ex's black hole stems from forgetfulness and disorganization, not malice.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                Honestly the material stuff isn't as important. You buy clothes and it is assumed mom buy clothes, same with bikes, etc. I think the biggest think is housing. We bought a three bedroom house and just built a forth. Our housing costs are the same whether we have the kids 20%, 30%, 40% or 80%. The only thing that really changes is our food costs and maybe utility costs slightly. If it is working for Quebec why can't it work in other provinces?

Comment

We pay full guideline amount and then some. And we get emails for us to buy shoes for the kids. Why? Why does she even think this is appropriate?

Comment

I beg to differ about the material stuff. It costs a fortune to clothe kids and put them in winter wear because they don't come with anyone. And then times that by 5 kids... we have a six bedroom home and we designed it ourselves to ensure every kid got relatively the same size room.

Then outfit every kid in their chosen sports. And then add gas. I'm sure we spend 200$ a month now that we aren't idling in her drive way for 20-30 min 3 times a week and not carting them back and forth every night just for them to sleep there and come back here in the morning.

...school uniforms. Field trips. School fees....

Comment

Well I guess we will disagree on that. I went into my relationship knowing he had two kids, knowing he paid child support. I fully accepted this and have also accepted the fact that we buy our own clothes because what she chooses to dress them in is not what we dress them in, we have accepted the fact we will have to put them in activities with no contribution from her. That is just par for the course when you get into a relationship with someone who has kids.

The original question regarding CS isn't about what extras we decide the buy the kids, it's about the calculation and it doesn't matter how it is calculated, our costs towards the children would remain the same. Sure it would be nice to have a little more money every month, but that's where I come in and make more money, instead of relying on my partner to do so. I would rather work harder and get further ahead than have him miss out on time with his children just so she can receive more money.

Comment

The original question regarding CS isn't about what extras we decide the buy the kids, it's about the calculation and it doesn't matter how it is calculated, our costs towards the children would remain the same. Sure it would be nice to have a little more money every month, but that's where I come in and make more money, instead of relying on my partner to do so. I would rather work harder and get further ahead than have him miss out on time with his children just so she can receive more money.[/QUOTE]

Berner - I think that that is admirable on your part - but some posters don't have the luxury (as it were) of having a new partner who is able to do what you do

....that 'little' extra can go a long way for us single parents...

As stated previously...if it can be done in Quebec what is holding Ontario back?

Comment

I can't be the only person that has ever wondered about this...

Comment

Berner - I think that that is admirable on your part - but some posters don't have the luxury (as it were) of having a new partner who is able to do what you do

....that 'little' extra can go a long way for us single parents...

As stated previously...if it can be done in Quebec what is holding Ontario back?
                            This is not "little extras" especially when you are paying over $1500 a month for two children in child support. We have ALREADY paid for all these items and therefore are paying twice. That in itself is not fair.

Furthermore, these aren't choices to be made. If the kids don't come with snowpants - you have to buy them to be able to play outside. And don't forget we even get emails "go buy them shoes" or boots or whatever.

And here is the thing: Single parent or two parents in the household - our CS is based on the payors income. It is also equalized with SS so that the payor is "income sharing". However, the mom works and lives with her husband who has a respectful income. All that to say, the payor (my husband) actually takes home much less. And so be it, we are not complaining about the arrangement of SS or CS per say. However, he already is starting out with less and then is expected to contribute to another home to provide all the "day to day" necessities for the children and he does without argument. And then he gets to do it all again since the CS doesn't cover all those "day to day" necessities. And that isn't fair.

Of course, the mom in our situation is less than helpful. I also wish that the education for the children was prorated NOW. Parents should be told up front that they should be putting money away for their kids after divorce. We have been diligently putting money away and yet as stated above, dad actually has less to go around. Seems very backward.

Does anyone have a link for the Quebec model (in layman's terms)?

Comment

Amen...
                              I simply went to CanLii - went to Quebec - and simply searched child support determination - the first hit was the paper indicating how CS should be apportioned.

Regulation respecting the determination of child support payments

Item 4
                              It simply refers to different form to be filled out if the payor has the children between 20%-40% of the time

Sorry for the large font - it was the way it copied over

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X