What..Info..Can..I..Ask..For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What..Info..Can..I..Ask..For?

Only a few months after we separated, my husband and his married girlfriend got his name on title to her house. That house was refinanced and her husband was paid out of the equity. My husband now holds the mortgage with her. I have asked to see the full reporting letter which has not yet been produced. My lawyer will not help at all so I need to ask if this is information to which I am entitled to ask for? My husband sent me three emails a month after separation asking me to sign a form saying he was not paying me any support. This form was for the bank so he could be approved for this refinancing . I did not sign and I asked him how he got approved without my consent which he refuses to give a straight answer to. I just want to know my rights on this matter. We have already had two case conferences. Thankyou for any advice.

Well with freedom of information and all that I am sure you cannot. But you can inform the bank that your ex is liable for child support and you did not sign off anything, so you want to be sure he did not misrepresent your signature in anyway. That might mean they question his completed forms and might prove he has committed fraud. But honestly why do you care? Is he paying child support? I can understand it is frustrating how he managed to arrange all this with his new girlfriend but from reading many other posters frustrations with ex's new fling I believe you are just giving yourself grief.

Tuck this piece of information away, in case you need it later on to prove anything important, such as non payment of CS and then you can bring it up. But at this time let it go and move on and forget what he is up to. He is not worth your time.
    Last edited by Beachnana; 04-19-2014, 10:18 AM.

Comment

We..Don't..hae..kids..together...I..am..going..for ..SS..plus...he..is..hiding..assets.
      He..should..hae..easy..access..to..Reporting..Lett er.I..think..he..might..hae..forged..my..signature ..to..qualify..and..he..also..holds..the..mortgage ..to..our..marital..home.Hard..to..explain..eeryth ing..on..here..:-)

Comment

Ok, makes sense now. Yes, its always hard to put the whole story down. I would think you can contact the bank and ask if they received a document with your signature on and inform them that you did not sign any letter. As loNg as you do not request any details regarding their mortgage and their personal information they should be able to verify if they have on record a document with ,your signature on.

Then I guess you have one piece of evidence to use.

Comment

I think you could contact the bank as Beachnana suggests, but I don't think they're obligated to give you information as you aren't a party to to your ex's mortgage. Nonetheless, a letter to the bank saying "by the way, I as the wife have not waived any claim to spousal support" couldn't hurt.

It does seem odd that they would approve him for a new mortgage on his GF's home when he already has a mortgage on the marital home and as-yet-undetermined financial obligations from his marriage, but ultimately that's the bank's problem, not yours. I know when I bought my condo, I showed the banks SA in which ex and I agreed not to seek SS from each other.

Comment

Thankyou..I..will..ask...My..friend..works...with. ..mortgages..and..she..says...he..would..need..spo usal..consent..from..me.

Comment

What exactly are you worried about and why do you care? I don't mean to be rude but if he misrepresented wrong information to the bank that is his issue if he can't afford his mortgage if he has to pay SS. You have no entitlement to his new house because he bought it after separation.

I don't know that he actually requires your consent. My partner and I bought a house and they did not require any information from his ex and they are not officially divorced yet.

The bank will not provide you any information unless your name is on the documents which is probably why your lawyer refuses to help you.

Comment

I..take..forging..my...signature....seriously.

Comment

My...Lawyer..did..not..look..at..his..financial..s tatements..either.I..hae..to..do..it..all..myself,
                  unfortunately.

Comment

Does..your..partner...hold..a..mortgage..on..marit al..home?

Comment

Originally posted by LyndaLou View Post
                      I..take..forging..my...signature....seriously.
                      You are assuming he did that. My partners ex also wanted him to sign papers to refinance, he refused as they didn't have a separation agreement in place, she went back to the bank and said he wouldn't sign and she got the financing anyways. Banks have ways to get around certain things and just because he got financing does not automatically mean he forged your signature.

Comment

You..are..right..I..am..sure..:-)
                        My husband did lie and cheat on me twice and I believe 100 percent that he is lying on his financial statements. He was served twice and then came to our first case conference still without his financial papers. He was ordered by the judge to produce them. So I had no choice but to take this to court and I guess I am looking for something to get him with. Hard to just give up after all he has put me through but I am trying to just let it go. Thankyou

Comment

Unfortunately you may have a long way to go... a lot of people don't disclose and put their ex's through a lot of crap. All you can do is keep on it. If your lawyer isn't helping you, maybe you need to consider a new lawyer or self rep if you have the time. Once a liar always a liar

Just remember, he is no longer your responsibility and if SS is awarded, that is his problem if he can't afford the pay his mortgage, fortunately for you, SS can be collected through FRO, so even if he refuses to pay, you have options to force him to pay. Stay calm and research what you need to do.

Comment

My ex was charged by police, after a lengthy investigation, with fraud over 5,000.00. Matter wasn't prosecuted as it was felt to be a "family law issue."

Family law encourages people to lie, cheat. The only thing that happens to the cheat is their credibility is damaged and someday when they want the court to believe them they will have a very difficult time.

How your ex pays his bills, files his taxes is of no relevance. You are now separated. He can have several girlfriends, several houses and several families. Doesn't matter.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X