Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! child is sick and I have a trial date tomorrow ! eek!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! child is sick and I have a trial date tomorrow ! eek!

Chances are I will have to stay home with the child and then see a doctor. His Temp is 40 Celcius. And today the STBX sent the child to school but the child just layed down mostly. I got calls from the school to pick up the child but I didn't get those messages until I got home. (note to self: gotta start carying around a cell phone)

Anyway I have trial tomorrow and I have no one to take care of my child. STBX is in court with her. The child is my responsibily till the end of school. If the child has a high fever I'm going to the doctors as soon in the morning as possible. I know the recomendation for a child with a temp of 40-41 will be to stay home drink lots of fluids etc.

I'm worried about the repercusions of missing trial.
    If I need to stay home I plan on calling and emailing the STBX, Trial coordinator, ther side's lawyer.
    How much trouble am I going to be in if I miss this trial?

Does anyone have experience missing court because of sickness.
    I don't want to screw up my trial, I think things are going well so far.
    Help!

CD

I know this answer! Nothing! Your child's health is number one period. court will be adjourned to a later date. Good that you can email people to warn - you would by then have done your best. I posted out of my experience and the temp you metion 41C or 106F if this is the case and this is her/his temp now we were told to give a cool bath and it really worked wonders. My daughter was young (6 moonths to 3 years when it finally stopped - she kept on getting phnumonia and we soon learned the drill on how to help her). If the temps are that high and you do not know why.... 106-107 is childrens hospital time especially if very young.

i do not want to scare - just make you aware. one of my kids was prone to phnumonia which generated those temps. But I am old (so converted the numbers! I post because your child is actually borderline - since you are at the top of the temp danger zone the difference between 40 (104 F) and 41 C (which is 106 F) is huge. Hit 107 F and our instruction was we better be at the children's hospital already(my daughter was 2-3 years old at the time. Hospitals are open 24/7 and yes we showed up at 3 am once or twice. hope this helps - not to scare - but remember your child is no contest - first.

The (ok I am not a doctor) instruction we lived by for the three years when this was an issue for us (from the pediatrician) was a cool bath at anytime worked to get temps down almost right away and we were assured we could watch and care for our daughter better at home than they could at the hospital. But we had the diagnosis - my guess is there has to be a reason for a child to hit the really high temps..... not just a "flu bug going around".

Comment

Hopefully you started tossing children's advil/tylenol at the kid too to help bring the fever down. PROTIP: You can alternate them so the kid is getting something every TWO hours as opposed to every four.

If you do wind up missing trial, make sure you go to the doctor and get something in writing about the purpose of the visit!

Comment

I've been giving the child ibprofin. So we are managing the fever. Thank you all for putting my mind a ease.

Yes the kids are the number one priority.

thanks,
        CD.

Comment

Ensure you pay the 10 bucks for a docter's note.

DOCUMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by CycleDad View Post
            I've been giving the child ibprofin. So we are managing the fever. Thank you all for putting my mind a ease.

Yes the kids are the number one priority.

thanks,
            CD.
            Probably too late but:

1) Call the trial coordinator's office and notify them of the situation.
            2) Notify the other party to the matter.
            3) Call the trial coordinator's office again and notify them of the situation.

Make sure they know at the TCO so that it doesn't turn into a non-appearance. Let EVERYONE involved know what is going on.

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

I did all that. Called co-ordinator, Notified other party. Didn't call the cordinator time thopugh. Judge actually tracked me down and firmly requested that I find someone to take care of the child. A trial is of the almost importance and he believed I could find alternative arangements. I ended up putting the child in the care of a third party that I am not 100% comfortable with in order to attend the trial.

What was I to do?

Comment

I wondered what happened...Didn't have any advice as I haven't been there.
                How did it go today ? How is your child ?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X