Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
frustratedwithex frustratedwithex is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
frustratedwithex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Support for children in post secondary

How does anyone calculate support for their children who are in post secondary?

If you didn't want to use the child support tables to calculate, what are other ways to determine monthly amount?

edit; Children live at home, shared custody.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM
NBDad's Avatar
NBDad NBDad is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 2,734
NBDad is on a distinguished road

The tables. Other than that, you would use whatever you can get agreement on.

If the issue is forced to court motion, the tables will get used.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
frustratedwithex frustratedwithex is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
frustratedwithex is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing is, is my lawyer is advising me that the tables are not always appropriate for children over the age of 18 and some judges use the tables and some don't.

So I understand that support can be set at what ever we can agree on. I agree with him, he changes his mind. He finds any amount as punitive to him. He reluctantly wants it set at the amount I pay for utilities and some food and he indicated he finds this amount as being too much.

The ex goes round and round on what he wants. So I'm looking for ideas and what others may be doing in this situation.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 PM
torontonian torontonian is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Check my member name...
Posts: 294
torontonian is on a distinguished road

Most often, for "kids" in university/college, assuming non-residing with CP, NCP pays 1/2 the table amount for the months away, full table for the months back home as well as S7 to be shared pro-rated to NDI - with kid paying a 1/3 of expenses. My "kid" is leaving home for good, and I have asked NO table amount, only S7 to be paid directly to the kid. Good luck, lots of cases on CANLII to check out...

Edit: if your kid is staying home with CP, then the tables continue to be used of course... Above was relevant to kids going away to study...

Last edited by torontonian; 02-02-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
child support while child is in university verytiredmother Divorce & Family Law 43 01-13-2013 04:02 AM
Post Secondary Education Ginger_Mallow Divorce & Family Law 39 12-11-2012 09:18 PM
cs and s7 obligations 06nomad Divorce & Family Law 5 05-11-2011 05:46 PM
Waive Child Support - is this possible? donnel8 Divorce & Family Law 4 02-24-2011 04:58 PM
Ontario Child Support Calculator Post May 2006 Guidelines logicalvelocity Divorce & Family Law 1 02-24-2007 10:25 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 PM.