Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Canadaguy Canadaguy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 420
Canadaguy is on a distinguished road
Default Share Custody Offset CS Maternity Leave

So there is some discussion on the forum about this topic, "Do I have to pay more child support if my ex-partner whom I have shared custody with takes materinty leave for a year because she got pregnant with her new partner?"

Obviously the law is behind on shared custody and it is not clear, but from my reseach here are some thoughts.

In a shared custody agreement, both parties have to pay each other child support because they both have custody of the child. He makes $75k, she makes $50K. For aguments sake, hey pays monthly $750 in CS, she $500, offset amount would be $250 month.

If her income lowers due to a change in circumstances (aka she takes mat leave) she would have to apply for undue hardship (aka loss of income). At that time the judge would have to look at the total household income, not just hers or his alone. If her+partner household income is $100k, and his is still only $75k, an increase in her CS for mat leave would not be granted.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Berner_Faith Berner_Faith is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,057
Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

I am not 100% on this, but I don't think they would have to argue undue hardship, rather prove a loss in income...I guess it would depend on what they were making before mat leave...

However, most CS payments are only reviewed/changed once a year, so depending on when Mat leave is taking place, the CS payments would not change...
Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Teenwolf Teenwolf is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 419
Teenwolf is on a distinguished road

Would it be possible to adjust her CS based on her reduced income for that year? After all, CS is based on your income and people get CS changed all the time, due to a change in income. If so, there would be no requirement for a undue hardship claim. It could be argued that she's not earning to her capacity, but I believe mat leave would qualify as legal justification for her reduction in income.

If she has to go the undue hardship route and her household income is more than yours, then yes, you're right - the undue hardship claim would fail. However, calculating the standard of living in each home can get complicated. The judge doesn't just look at line 150 for each house and call it a day.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Best Interests of Children: An Evidence- Based Approach WorkingDAD Divorce & Family Law 13 01-12-2013 09:15 PM
Joint Physical Custody: Smart Solution or Problematic Plan? WorkingDAD Parenting Issues 21 09-17-2012 07:38 AM
Joint custody - questions & answers (US) first timer Parenting Issues 0 03-20-2011 01:07 AM
Custody Disputed Decent Dad Political Issues 2 06-26-2006 10:05 AM
How to proceed CatvsLion Divorce & Family Law 9 04-25-2006 11:10 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 AM.