? about Minutes of Settlement :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about Minutes of Settlement :(

I signed minutes of settlement last week while at a settlement conference. I was self-represented. To make a long story short....I was pressured by the judge to settle (which I did not expect) and bullied by opposing counsel (which I did expect) . I had asked to take the minutes to a lawyer before signing...but was told (by the judge) that if I was acting on my own behalf as a lawyer, I should be able to figure out the minutes of settlement by myself. The next step for me was to set the matter for trial. I didn't want this...so I folded and signed. I realize now that was a mistake. Anyway...no one to blame but myself....so goes Family Law and this never-ending cycle of frustration. My question is....the minutes require my ex to pay me a lump-sum of support. There is, however, nothing in the minutes that states when this payment should be made (again big mistake on my part). I don't imagine the cheque coming anytime soon (or ever). Do I have any recourse for a poorly drafted settlement? Meaning...I realize that I can't change the Minutes but what happens when they are non-specific?

I think you have to wait until the Order is "issued" then if it contains a mistake maybe the other party will do a 14B motion (consensual change) to be nice. Look under Orders in Family Law Rules Act. Doesn't sound like Child support so nothing FRO could do I think

If your talking to other party find out when to expect payment while you wait till the Orders Issued (about 3 months)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X