Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation agreement Bankruptcy

Hello,
    Is there a clause for bankruptcy protection should your ex declare bankruptcy. Please share. I'm terrified my ex has or will declare bankruptcy. Thank you!

why do you care if your ex files or filed for bankruptcy?

Comment

seperation agreements > bankruptcy protection. (whereas judgements < bankruptcy protection).

Obviously spousal and child support are due no matter what.

If you want protection from bankruptcy write everything up as a form of support payment.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
        If you want protection from bankruptcy write everything up as a form of support payment.
        That is how Arabian got around her ex's bankruptcy

Comment

I don't understand - what did she write up??

I'm in this situation too. The other side is claiming financial hardship. He makes $117k, I make $45k. He has a previous child to pay for, plus our child. I have two previous children I care for. He has an extreme amount of debt. But he also has two houses...

Comment

My respondent will be claiming bankruptcy or a consumer proposal

Originally posted by Bellbaby View Post
            I don't understand - what did she write up??

I'm in this situation too. The other side is claiming financial hardship. He makes $117k, I make $45k. He has a previous child to pay for, plus our child. I have two previous children I care for. He has an extreme amount of debt. But he also has two houses...

Comment

If they declare bankruptcy you become another creditor in the pool as far equalization goes. However child support (mostly) and spousal support (pretty sure) cannot be discharged through bankruptcy, not even arrears. If you put in a claim for support payments to the trustee you will be placed close to the top of the pile when it comes to repayment.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X