Details in the OCL Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details in the OCL Report

Hi folks, I am currently going through the OCL in my custody battle for my children. When it is all said and done I expect to have the report/disclosure meeting (hopefully) by late summer. I'm trying to expedite everything as much as possible but the other side seems to be dragging things out

How 'detailed' is the OCL report? Maybe it vary's from lawyer to lawyer, but is there a standard format they follow in preparing/writing a report?

I ask as the ex was involved in an incident last year shortly after we split where police confiscated a small quantity of marijuana from her (actually from my daughter whom the ex asked to hide before the police arrived). So at our Case Conference (where OCL involvement was asked for by her) she was to provide the police report from this incident by court order. The report was due last January but she has yet to submit it. The OCL should see this report (along with all the details as she was to consent to police checks), so would/should it be mentioned in any great detail?

As far as police reports... my understanding is that the OCL does not need to wait for someone to produce one. They get direct access to any relevant police report. I recall this from my own situation with my stbx.

On the other hand, you should not be totally passive. If you have not been interviewed by the OCL yet... I'd guess that you'd have an opportunity to mention the existence of a police report.

I am not a lawyer so don't rely on my reply. I tried to give the OCL everything that might help without overstepping any boundaries. They are definitely striving to represent any child involved.

Comment

Originally posted by sjandme View Post
      As far as police reports... my understanding is that the OCL does not need to wait for someone to produce one. They get direct access to any relevant police report. I recall this from my own situation with my stbx.

On the other hand, you should not be totally passive. If you have not been interviewed by the OCL yet... I'd guess that you'd have an opportunity to mention the existence of a police report.

I am not a lawyer so don't rely on my reply. I tried to give the OCL everything that might help without overstepping any boundaries. They are definitely striving to represent any child involved.
      Thanks, yes I have already met with him (OCL) once as has the STBX. We both had to sign consents to have our police records searched. I mentioned the incident to him; so he is fully aware.

I am just wondering how that (if at all) will show up in his report...are these kinds of details revealed in an OCL report?

Part of this is my own morbid curiosity; to see if she was charged with possession after involving my daughter in all this...

Comment

You can go down to the police station and through the freedom of information get information on your ex.

Your messages are confusing, you said OCL lawyer, if you have a OCL lawyer then they are just giving the preferences of the children. And there will not be a report.
        If the person is an social worker, then they could be working with a lawyer (again no report produced) they it's just a social worker, then that is the only time the OCL will produce a report.

Comment

Thanks involveddad.

Maybe I am getting the roles/responsibilities confused. I know after the investigation is complete we have our disclosure meeting with myself/my lawyer her/her lawyer. I assumed there would be some kind of report produced for that?

I tried before to get the info from the police station. I was told I could only obtain this if I was involved in the incident (even just being present etc). I was not. And due to the ID requirements it looks like my daughter (who was involved) could not get this info either, as all she has is her health card...nothing else.

Comment

You know I thought there would be a report too.

Definitely not. Exactly how the judge determines the OCL's findings is actually a mystery to me. (Must be some kind of communication.)

I walked away from the meeting thinking not much progress had been made. (Ticked off too b/c I had to pay a fair amount for my lawyer to prepare and then attend.)

We also hashed out an agreement about access for the foreseeable future. My stbx was not seeing our kids regularly... his choice though he tried to pretend otherwise. He does see them more often since then - which is much better than hardly ever.

Comment

sjandme, could describe your meeting? Does the children's lawyer just sit down and have a chat with the four of you? No papers/reports in front of them; just shares their feelings?? Does he/she go into any detail as to why they feel the way they do about their conclusions??

And what did your lawyer have to do to prepare for the meeting? I understand having to pay for their time to come, but don't understand what prep they needed before hand...did the OCL contact your lawyer before the meeting to let him/her know what his recommendations were going to be?

Comment

Heck no... not about feelings at all. She strove to be factual and objective. A driving force was reporting on our children's thoughts and feelings. (O.K., feelings came into play. However, of course, not the lawyer's feelings or rather impressions.

Also, our children are in the pre-teen group - bear that in mind. I do not know how the OCL ascertains a very young child's "feelings" about being with mommy and/or daddy, and so on.)

She referred to her notes often as I recall (almost 5 months past now - so my recollection is not laser sharp).

She mentioned all the parties she had interviewed - school staff, doctors, etc.; all her sources (medical reports, etc.) I let my lawyer make notes. I was too anxious in the beginning. There were lots of details.

I do not know precisely what my lawyer did to prep. I do know that I was billed for some time. I did ask him several questions via email in the weeks leading up to this meeting.

If you can get information directly from the OCL or their support staff, do so to keep your costs lower.

I was able to ask questions. It was not an overly formal meeting. It was extended somewhat by my stbx... a very stubborn, difficult personality.... You know a lot of "yes but's".... "I don't understand". He's actually a smart guy (intellectually); he meant something else with those kinds of comments. Anyway... I do not know how or why this meeting drifted into a drawn out attempt to get my stbx to commit to an access schedule. But it did. There is often a push to settle things it seems.

I think the 3 lawyers were relieved when the meeting finally ended. (Probably counting their blessings that they didn't have to interact with my stbx every day.)
                Last edited by sjandme; 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X