Good lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good lawyers

Thought I'd post my recent experience as there are so many bad stories about lousy lawyers that we read about.

For those of you who do not know, my ex takes me to court 1 - 2 times a year. He tries to get spousal support ended or varied. He has done this since 2010. Since our separation in 2009 I was fortunate to be represented by an excellent young lawyer. In 2015 I had hoped that the litigation would end. In our divorce agreement (2010) we had agreed upon a step-down SS followed by a review. This all took place and throughout the past 6 years my ex has taken me to court continually.

I officially became self-represented in 2015 following what we hoped would be my ex's last 'kick at the can' in eliminating SS. I was not in the same Province the last time there was a major review. My lawyer represented me then. I actually have not been physically in court with my ex since 2013.

So my ex last Spring decides to try again. I now live in another location. He stumbles but manages to get the attention of the judge of the local jurisdiction I live in. He is unsuccessful. Again.

Just last month my ex filed a new application. How did I know? He didn't serve me in accordance with the rules. My former lawyer happened to notice my name on the court docket one day when he was at court. My former lawyer attended, on my behalf that very afternoon. The matter was adjourned (ex was supposed to serve me in accordance with the rules - which never happened).

I decided to not respond to anything. I am truly tired of everything. I thought that if he was successful then I would hear about it eventually through one of the spiteful/gleeful emails his g/f loves to send to me.

So today my dear former lawyer took it upon himself to attend court just to make sure that things were handled properly. After meeting with the other lawyer the matter was withdrawn. Done. Finished.

My former lawyer, who lives many, many miles from me and with whom I have not seen for several years, showed dedication and professionalism. I am truly grateful to him for watching my back.

I hope you find a good lawyer who really, truly watches out for your best interests.
    Last edited by arabian; 11-29-2016, 08:02 PM.

So he withdrew? Thats good news! Hopefully that doesnt mean hes re-doing his docs to file properly!!!

Comment

That's reallly cute, I love lawyers....

Comment

No ex would have to file a new application.

I think ex's got to be wearing out his 'nine lives' by now?

As long as someone claims "material change of circumstances" the courts take a look at it. That 'taking a look at it' takes months and uses up family court resources. I have a feeling I'll be pushing a walker and living in an old folks' home. His g/f is 10 years younger than him and seems to live for this.

Comment

There are still more good lawyers than bad ones. The bad ones stick out like sore thumbs unfortunately.

Comment

Good lawyers

I hear you. I've finally found a good lawyer that just knows how to get the job done. Answers calls and emails personally, does everything to can to save me costs every step of the way.

My opinion based on my own personal experience is that Some lawyers truly want you to succeed some lawyers just want to see how much money they can squeeze out of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank God for that lawyer. There are definitely some good ones around and you must have an angel watching over you too.

I'm happy for you. Endless litigation is a killer.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X