This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 year old in part-time post secondary education

I've searched CanLii and this forum without much success so I am hoping some informed members can enlighten me!
    The question - What are the CS obligations for an adult child attending part-time/apprenticeship studies?

Here's the knowns - Child is 18, always lived with mother, attending a 2 year apprenticeship program that requires he attend school out of town 1 week per month and he works 3 weeks of the month for an employer in his field of study from Sept to April. During the summer the child works and earns full-time income. The maternal grandparents paid for all post secondary expenses for all grand children (section 7/extraordinary expenses not an issue). The course "is" deemed as p/t for income tax purposes and cannot be claimed.
    The unknown is the child's employment income. It is alleged that the employer does not pay for the 3 weeks of work each month but this has not been confirmed and it seems unusual as most apprentices are paid for their working time.

Any thoughts or info on personal experiences appreciated! thanks.

when my brother did an appreticeship he was paid for the time he was working fulltime. The only time he didnt get paid was when he was in school.

Comment

As an apprentice who recently finished his ticket(in Alberta), I can say that you receive EI while in school.
      I believe that he must be enrolled in a full time program in order for CS to continue.
      And a week a month doesn't cut it.

Comment

I assume ur ex is resisting the support reduction when it should be a no brainer. Who's claiming the taxes?..is there any cliams for an apprenticeship?......talk to your kid about the matter...count ur lucky stars it's only 2 years...try a 4 year university stink (times 3 kids)...no hurry here take you a year at least to resolve issues in court...the kids entitled to something for what he's doin..judge wil give that...a nice letter notifying ur ex that support ends after a certian date say a few months after the child is done his apprenticeship so he can look for a job...then it's time to end support...hope this helps

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X