This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi... checking this site...

Hi to everyone. I live in Ontario and I'm looking for some answers before I get in trouble. I'm not married but have been living with a woman for almost a year. I can't say things have ever gone very good so far, but I still would like to try to work things out. I'm worried because I own the house, I own the new car and I'm financially secure and she has nothing financially. I'm wondering, should I worry now or can I wait sometime to see how things work out. I know I can get a co-habitation agreement, but I don't want to do that unless it's necessary at this point. Is there a site with answers for co-habiting couples? Thank you...

Hi Bonhomme,

Welcome to the forums!

Under Ontario law, to be considered a common law couple, parties must cohabit for three years in a relationship of some permenance. If the parties have a child together, the three-year requirement does not apply.

Entering into a cohabitition agreement is always a good idea, no matter how long parties have been living together. Entering into an agreement is sometimes a sensitive subject for some couples, as if it's a sign that the relationship won't last, but the fact is that everyone should really protect themselves in the event that things don't work out.

Please take a look at:

http://www.marriage-contract.ca/

Lindsay

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the information Lindsay.

Comment

Three years really?

Does that only apply to family law? because I was preparing to do my taxes and I could swear the definition of common law for tax purposes was one year of cohabitation.

Comment

You're sharp Sk8r!

The CRA requires parties to be living together in a conjugal relationship for 12 continuous months.

They also have other qualifications. Please see:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individ...marital-e.html

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X