This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation Agreement Questions

First I should say that I am not the one getting and/or doing the separation.
    This is all about my dad and his wife.

SO, to sum up: my dad's wife is bipolar, we found out a few months ago. My dad's wife, we will call her Binky for the sake of not calling her 'my dad's wife' all the time, so Binky had a severe manic episode where she did quite a number on dad's financial situation, she left dad, hired a lawyer to divorce him, and wanted to charge him for assault. (Not all this is relevant, but gives a picture of the situation.)
    Now she has come crashing down from her mania and is pretty depressed. She and Dad have somewhat reconciled, though she will not be living in his house again.

Getting to my question now, slowly:

They are going to be writing a separation agreement, so Dad will be able to give her some money so she doesn't have to be living in housing. The separation is part of him being able to protect himself from her if she has another manic episode.

They don't want to spend a ton of money on lawyers, working on this separation agreement, but they want to make sure it is legit. Our goal is for Binky to not be able to come back at dad and demand more money from him later. Is that possible? When is it possible and what do we do to make sure the separation agreement is solid?

**I am not sure what information you might need, so if I have left some piece of information out, let me know.**

the main piece of advice I can give is make sure she has her own lawyer look over the agreement. That way she cannot say she did not know what she was doing because she was in a depression and did not know her rights.

Comment

How long were they together and does Binky have any independent means of support (ie a job or ODSP?)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X