Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would doubling your income count as Material Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, with the exact wording from your agreement, you're in a much better position because it specifies that a material change a) may be foreseeable; b) may include either party's financial status.

So yes, take this wording, do up a letter proposing an adjustment (be specific about what you are proposing - complete end to SS, lower amount of SS, whatever), and send it to her lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by failed@life View Post
      Here's the exact wording:
      Spousal support may be changed if there is a material change in circumstances, even if the change was foreseen or foreseeable. The change may be:
      a) in either party's financial position;
      b) in the child support arrangements;
      c) (ex)'s remarriage;
      d) (ex)'s cohabitation with another person in a relationship resembling marriage for more than 24 months, and
      e) in either party's health
      or any other similar change.
      I agree with the other posters.

Now we need to talk about what is the source of her entitlement. As I said earlier if she has worked full time for the entire marriage and has made no sacrifices for the family unit that means the SS is non compensatory.

This means that even a woman like your ex who loses your income to support themself is going to have a reduced standard of living which for some reason she is entitled to continue to benefit from for some time after divorce, being weaned off gradually unless she remarries a rich guy or she earns way more giving her something approaching the standard of living you had during the marriage.

With her new salary can she enjoy similar standard of living as you enjoyed during the marriage?

I will also add that the clauses in your agreement all indicate that the SS is non-xompwnsatory because remarriage doesn't have much affect on SS in LT compensatory type spousal support
      Last edited by Links17; 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X