If you don't have money to pay for legal fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you don't have money to pay for legal fees

I have took a loan for family, banks and about every source. All maxed out. Legal bill came close to 10k. Can't pay it. Should I ask the lawyer to pay in installments. If I don't pay right away , will the lawyer stop representing?
    Thanks

you really need to get a handle on your legal bills. Take more control. Ask the lawyer if they will accept a payment plan. They may or they may not represent you due to the outstanding debt.

People run up legal bills by calling their lawyers for nothing or using their lawyer for their therapists. Every time you call or email your lawyer there is a charge for that.

Comment

Self-represent and stop whining

Comment

Links, not everyone is as patient/skilled/intelligent/wonderful as you. There are many people who shouldn't self-rep by virtue of emotional or personal limitations.

OP, Standing is right, you need to get ahold of your legal bills. Many lawyers will stop representing you after the debt gets too high.

Comment

However, most people at least have grade 11 or grade 12 maths and English. Anyone that can read, comprehend stuff and not afraid to ask questions, should be self-rep'ing.

Coaching is needed on the decorum in court, but that is just common sense i.e. speak only when spoken to, address the judge as your honour, and keep your attitude in check. All that in place and you are halfway there.

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
          Links, not everyone is as patient/skilled/intelligent/wonderful as you. There are many people who shouldn't self-rep by virtue of emotional or personal limitations.

OP, Standing is right, you need to get ahold of your legal bills. Many lawyers will stop representing you after the debt gets too high.

Comment

Originally posted by hopefull View Post
            However, most people at least have grade 11 or grade 12 maths and English. Anyone that can read, comprehend stuff and not afraid to ask questions, should be self-rep'ing.

Coaching is needed on the decorum in court, but that is just common sense i.e. speak only when spoken to, address the judge as your honour, and keep your attitude in check. All that in place and you are halfway there.
            not necessarily. A person wanting to self-rep has to have lots of time to go over stuff and if it goes to trial you need to treat it like a full-time job. There are so many little details that if you screw it up, you could screw up your case. You are making it sound like its a cake-walk when it isn't.

Comment

I agree, I am quite wonderful

Comment

I self rep'd on top of my very demanding full time job where I'm in charge of over 2 dozen people.

Time management is crucial and if you are the time that goes out to drink with your buddies, hang out at Timmies or whatever, then you will have to cut all that out for what is more important to you.

I am not the first person to self rep and actually get everything I was asking for e.g. 50-50, no SS payment, step-parent CS argument, etc

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                not necessarily. A person wanting to self-rep has to have lots of time to go over stuff and if it goes to trial you need to treat it like a full-time job. There are so many little details that if you screw it up, you could screw up your case. You are making it sound like its a cake-walk when it isn't.

Comment

All good skills to have, but more is required. Some people are terrified of public speaking. Some people get stressed out easily. Some people are not very good at acting off the cuff. Some people are not good communicators (verbal or written). If one fits into these categories, then self-representing may not be a wise choice.

Comment

The OP has a username of "abuseddad". His posts have a consistent tinge of victimhood and hopelessness. He is unlikely to self-represent successfully. He is overwhelmed even as a represented litigant.

Comment

Assumption much?

Does the username 'Janus' ooze smartness?

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                      The OP has a username of "abuseddad". His posts have a consistent tinge of victimhood and hopelessness. He is unlikely to self-represent successfully. He is overwhelmed even as a represented litigant.

Comment

Assumption much?

You mention that anyone who can read and comprehend should self rep. Obviously you have issues in that department or you would of read abuseddads previous posts on this forum and would see that Janus is correct. Janus didn't assume anything, its all there in black and white.

Comment

You mention that anyone who can read and comprehend should self rep. Obviously you have issues in that department or you would of read abuseddads previous posts on this forum and would see that Janus is correct. Janus didn't assume anything, its all there in black and white.
                          Yes perhaps jAnus is correct about the name thing. I believe we discussed this at great length several years ago.

Comment

Yes. Yes it does.

Comment

I don't that much time on my hand to go dig up people's previous posts; I mean why on earth would I want to do that?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X