Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know whether you have a good family law lawyer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know whether you have a good family law lawyer?

Originally posted by Grace
    How do you know you have a good family law lawyer?
    That's a difficult question! I'm curious to hear what other people have to say, then I'll try to add my thoughts as well.
    Ottawa Divorce

I think you would know you have a good lawyer when;

This give you sound legal advice on your situation,

They are very professional,

They keep you informed of your case in a timely manner,

They give you sound options to consider rather than litigation ie: mediation

They answer all your questions in laymans terms,

They take an interest in your case, committed etc

These are some reasons that come to mind

Comment

In my case, the lawyer I used was very balanced. ShHe presented options and cautioned me on a number of areas that I was letting my emotions rule. If I hadn't followed her advice, there would have been much more money spent on items that would not have turned out the way I wanted them to. It would have been very easy for her to charge for everything I wanted, but she provided the balanced advice that didn't necessarily mean money in her pocket.

I hear stories of people who have lawyers that let items linger and are non responsive. I would move on immediately...the system itself is slow, the last thing you need is a lawyer that doesn't respond.

Last piece of advice....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Comment

Jeff,

When you add your thoughts, please include what makes a "good client".

Thanks
        Grace

Comment

Going through the oldies...

Came accross this post and was wondering what does make a good "lawyer" and a good "client". Jeff if you could please...

Thanks

Duped

Comment

in the case of my cousin......

Her lawyer found $100,000 of funds her ex was trying to hide plus he bold out told the ex to his face that he should shut his mouth and not even think twice of bullying his client which is my cousin which the ex liked to do. This lawyer wanted to grant my cousin an extra $800 a month in spousal support which she had right too thru the eyes of the law but turned down because she does well herself with her job and just wants this whole mess over with. Long story short hubby left his choice she was crushed he is a very selfish person my cousin was still on MAT leave, he also had an affair.

I guess that's what $400/hr buys you!!!!! But i thought wow a lawyer who is actually really fighting for her!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X