No announcement yet.

Is a vehicle considered an s.7 expense for post-secondary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that you mention it, I won't be surprised to a Judge needing a frontal lobotomy order that, just because some Mom who is "besties" with their daughter, want to be able to Face Time them

Originally posted by trinton View Post
    What's next, the support payer has to pay the child's cellphone bills under a S7 expense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's spend 30,000 a piece on lawyers to figure out what would be cheaper and whether this is a S7 expense regarding her education.

Oh wait, we just went through the her tuition savings.

Everything is hypothetical depending on circumstances and the judge you get. More and more judges are coming down hard on high income earners for kids s7 expenses. You have to decide if you want to spend thousands to save yourself a few hundred.

Most of these costs are straightforward and easy to figure out. Tuition, living expenses and books. Equipment if they are in a special program and transportation if necessary.

There are plenty of parents who feel they should include (demand) expenses that arent eligible. How they are dealt with are in line with my original comment of is it worth it? Can you reach a resolution without involving lawyers? If youre going to waste your time and money fighting about $100 or so its really not worth it.

Comment

You are correct Rockscan, everyone's situation is different and when the time comes, all things need to be considered.

Comment

Who is the person that is spending time and money fighting for an extra $100 a month. The parent that is asking for it or the person that is opposing it. Or are they both.

Comment

Who is the person that is spending time and money fighting for an extra $100 a month. The parent that is asking for it or the person that is opposing it. Or are they both.

There are plenty of parents on both sides of the table fighting over it.

Comment

A quick review of this site reveals this:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...html#post65703

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                A quick review of this site reveals this:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...html#post65703

Thanks Tayken. I was really interested in this myself just in case it comes up for me in the future.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.
                  I'm self represented and feel 80% of $7,200 is no small amount and also have other daughters going to post-secondary soon and that this will set a precedent.

The reality is that there is a public transit option that is much more affordable and reasonable. It can even be combined with a trans-cab that picks up and drops off right at your doorstep. The difference between taking public transit and driving is at most a 15-20 minute difference when you factor in having to park and then get to class vs getting dropped off right in front of the university.

Comment

Originally posted by bake View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies and feedback.
                    I'm self represented and feel 80% of $7,200 is no small amount and also have other daughters going to post-secondary soon and that this will set a precedent.

The reality is that there is a public transit option that is much more affordable and reasonable. It can even be combined with a trans-cab that picks up and drops off right at your doorstep. The difference between taking public transit and driving is at most a 15-20 minute difference when you factor in having to park and then get to class vs getting dropped off right in front of the university.

How old is the "child".

Comment

She is 20 years old.

Comment

If she survived the first two years of post secondary with public transit then your ex would be hard pressed to show need this year. If you have two kids going to the same university and sharing the car then it could be argued as a good investment. Otherwise you could push back on it. I wouldnt offer the tax benefit as your ots. You will be denied it. If anything I would offer the amount of the transcab cost and be done with it.

You should go review Lewi v. Lewi which sets a precedent for post secondary costs. One kid stayed home and used an inheritance to buy a car. Dad argued he owed nothing for school because each kid got 20 grand from their grandfather. Kid 2 used this for the car. Dad was still on the hook for his portion of the maintenance costs.

Comment

Hello Rockscan,
                          Daughter purchased the vehicle when she was in last year of high school and lived on campus the first year. There was no mention of any costs associated with the vehicle that year.
                          I only saw a line item for insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc the second year when she returned to live with her mother.
                          I have always paid tuition, books, school fees without question.
                          I just feel the cost of the vehicle is excessive given the fact that public transit is an option and there were other options that could be considered.
                          My other daughters do not attend post secondary until the first one is finished.

Comment

So your costs are significantly lowered not having to pay for residence that negated the need for transportation and now you feel that transportation is excessive. Would you support the move back to residence?

Comment

I was still paying full table amount of child support while she was living in residence.

Comment

Did you also pay a portion if residence fees?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X