This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the time limit for getting a domicile in Ontario

This question has been asked by a Quebec lawyer- How long does it take for me to get Ontario status? I moved in July 2005 and my husband has filed for Divorce in Quebec. Also does Ontario treat adultry differently? Can I claim damages from him if I can get the file moved to Ontario

I don't know about "status" but divorce is "no-fault" in Ontario. It doesn't matter why the marriage broke down, the assets and support issues are all dealt with the same

Comment

mamatunts,

You must be living in Ontario for at least one year in order to be considered permenantly resident.

Sk8r is right. We have "no fault" divorce in Ontario. Although it is possible to apply for a divorce under the grounds of adultery here, it can end up being quite costly for you and may result in your divorce taking longer to process than if you had applied under the grounds of one-year separation.

You may want to contact a lawyer in Quebec immediately. If you have already been served with some kind of application, you probably do not have much time to respond. In Ontario, one would have only 30 days to respond to an application.

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X